Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 80

Thread: Weight shift

  1. #1
    Certified softball maniac Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,833
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 423 Times in 343 Posts

    Default Weight shift



    Here's a view of positioning, coiling, or FBC. Is there a weight shift or just positioning the hips as you stride?

    "It is hard to fill a cup that is already full"

  2. #2
    It wasn't me. rdbass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Not here.
    Posts
    8,467
    Thanks
    2,319
    Thanked 5,505 Times in 3,301 Posts

    Default


    Last edited by rdbass; 12-21-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU!

  3. #3
    Clueless.. pattar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,775
    Thanks
    321
    Thanked 885 Times in 585 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rdbass View Post

    I think Mud posted this once and I shut my mouth but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the balance is supposed to be "measuring" here..some
    indication of position of center of mass relative to body midline???

  4. #4
    It wasn't me. rdbass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Not here.
    Posts
    8,467
    Thanks
    2,319
    Thanked 5,505 Times in 3,301 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pattar View Post
    I think Mud posted this once and I shut my mouth but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the balance is supposed to be "measuring" here..some
    indication of position of center of mass relative to body midline???
    ............................

    there are just as many HL hitters that are not 50/50 but more 60/40 or even 70/30 at times during their swings, so if I have hitters who proprioceptively feel more comfortable with something closer to the latter than the former...well then I'll work with that, and not force them into something the doesn't fit their personal "style" or natural athletic movements.

    I hope we can move forward with the understanding that not all hitters are the same, and thusly need to be allowed variations in "style" which should not be confused with "absolutes". I suppose if you believe that a hitter's exact balance (50/50) is an "absolute", and not a "style" where you'll see HL hitters carry their weight differently throughout their swings...well then I guess we could have a discussion on that.

    However, if you do believe that, I'm not sure how any further discussion(s) will change what either of us believe...because I see different weight movements, transitions, transfers, and shifts in many different HL hitters, and not all at the 50/50 balance that you might see in all of them.
    https://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...no-stride.html
    If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU!

  5. #5
    I can talk softball all day Mudders Brudder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 184 Times in 117 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pattar View Post
    I think Mud posted this once and I shut my mouth but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the balance is supposed to be "measuring" here..some
    indication of position of center of mass relative to body midline???
    I've only read a little of what that mud character has written (geez, what a windbag he is)...but enough to know that he'd never post something like that...especially the lower one when in his opinion from what I've read, is that no way in hell is that guy 50/50 during that part of the swing (his words, not mine).

    Now I see that maybe that hitter momentarily appears to pass through some evenly distributed body alignment enroute to something else, but there's no way his weight can be equally distributed "50/50" within, about, or on his legs...when his front foot's not even on the ground when the scale comes popping out. He's still "rear-legged" as he's moving "forward yet back" throughout that gif sequence. IMO naturally, not the "mud" doofus.

  6. #6
    I can talk softball all day Gags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    444
    Thanks
    341
    Thanked 158 Times in 119 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pattar View Post
    I think Mud posted this once and I shut my mouth but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the balance is supposed to be "measuring" here..some
    indication of position of center of mass relative to body midline???
    I thought the gif was telling me to either swing like Thor after you achieve balance, or that only after you achieve balance will you be able to wield Mjolnir (Thorís hammer).

    (See gif that shows toe touch).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Clueless.. pattar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,775
    Thanks
    321
    Thanked 885 Times in 585 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudders Brudder View Post
    I've only read a little of what that mud character has written (geez, what a windbag he is)...but enough to know that he'd never post something like that...especially the lower one when in his opinion from what I've read, is that no way in hell is that guy 50/50 during that part of the swing (his words, not mine).

    Now I see that maybe that hitter momentarily appears to pass through some evenly distributed body alignment enroute to something else, but there's no way his weight can be equally distributed "50/50" within, about, or on his legs...when his front foot's not even on the ground when the scale comes popping out. He's still "rear-legged" as he's moving "forward yet back" throughout that gif sequence. IMO naturally, not the "mud" doofus.
    The 50/50 when his foot is off the ground was what made me think it wasn't actually foot pressure distribution and more about where the COM was located e.g. centered or not..whatever. Doesn't really matter.

  8. #8
    Clueless.. pattar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,775
    Thanks
    321
    Thanked 885 Times in 585 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rdbass View Post
    The link brings me to the beginning of a long thread and I don't feel like sifting through to see if this post went along with the gif. Assuming it does then the actual balance in the gif is supposed
    to be representing some sort of mythical measure of balance in a swing? No need to answer, I should have just kept my technical mouth shut...

  9. #9
    Softball Junkie Rolling Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    559
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 123 Times in 100 Posts

    Default

    Here's a question for you guys. If the batters that weighs 200 lbs back foot was on a scale and his front foot landed on another scale. What would the back foot scale read just before his front foot touch the ground? What would the front scale read at contact?

  10. #10
    Certified softball maniac Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,833
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 423 Times in 343 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Hard View Post
    Here's a question for you guys. If the batters that weighs 200 lbs back foot was on a scale and his front foot landed on another scale. What would the back foot scale read just before his front foot touch the ground? What would the front scale read at contact?
    I think pressure plates have been used on the swing. I'll see if I can find the percentage of weight distribution.

    "It is hard to fill a cup that is already full"

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •