Weight shift

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Here's a view of positioning, coiling, or FBC. Is there a weight shift or just positioning the hips as you stride?

Jun 8, 2016

I think Mud posted this once and I shut my mouth but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the balance is supposed to be "measuring" here..some
indication of position of center of mass relative to body midline???

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I think Mud posted this once and I shut my mouth but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the balance is supposed to be "measuring" here..some

there are just as many HL hitters that are not 50/50 but more 60/40 or even 70/30 at times during their swings, so if I have hitters who proprioceptively feel more comfortable with something closer to the latter than the former...well then I'll work with that, and not force them into something the doesn't fit their personal "style" or natural athletic movements.

I hope we can move forward with the understanding that not all hitters are the same, and thusly need to be allowed variations in "style" which should not be confused with "absolutes". I suppose if you believe that a hitter's exact balance (50/50) is an "absolute", and not a "style" where you'll see HL hitters carry their weight differently throughout their swings...well then I guess we could have a discussion on that.

However, if you do believe that, I'm not sure how any further discussion(s) will change what either of us believe...because I see different weight movements, transitions, transfers, and shifts in many different HL hitters, and not all at the 50/50 balance that you might see in all of them.
https://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/35011-lower-body-no-stride.html

Apr 11, 2015
I've only read a little of what that mud character has written (geez, what a windbag he is)...but enough to know that he'd never post something like that...especially the lower one when in his opinion from what I've read, is that no way in hell is that guy 50/50 during that part of the swing (his words, not mine). :)

Now I see that maybe that hitter momentarily appears to pass through some evenly distributed body alignment enroute to something else, but there's no way his weight can be equally distributed "50/50" within, about, or on his legs...when his front foot's not even on the ground when the scale comes popping out. He's still "rear-legged" as he's moving "forward yet back" throughout that gif sequence. IMO naturally, not the "mud" doofus. :D

Nov 18, 2015

I thought the gif was telling me to either swing like Thor after you achieve balance, or that only after you achieve balance will you be able to wield Mjolnir (Thor’s hammer).

(See gif that shows toe touch).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
I've only read a little of what that mud character has written (geez, what a windbag he is)...but enough to know that he'd never post something like that...especially the lower one when in his opinion from what I've read, is that no way in hell is that guy 50/50 during that part of the swing (his words, not mine). :)

Now I see that maybe that hitter momentarily appears to pass through some evenly distributed body alignment enroute to something else, but there's no way his weight can be equally distributed "50/50" within, about, or on his legs...when his front foot's not even on the ground when the scale comes popping out. He's still "rear-legged" as he's moving "forward yet back" throughout that gif sequence. IMO naturally, not the "mud" doofus. :D

The 50/50 when his foot is off the ground was what made me think it wasn't actually foot pressure distribution and more about where the COM was located e.g. centered or not..whatever. Doesn't really matter.

Jun 8, 2016
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Here's a question for you guys. If the batters that weighs 200 lbs back foot was on a scale and his front foot landed on another scale. What would the back foot scale read just before his front foot touch the ground? What would the front scale read at contact?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here's a question for you guys. If the batters that weighs 200 lbs back foot was on a scale and his front foot landed on another scale. What would the back foot scale read just before his front foot touch the ground? What would the front scale read at contact?

I think pressure plates have been used on the swing. I'll see if I can find the percentage of weight distribution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28