Weight shift

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
A couple of days ago, I took an airplane from OK to MA and my weight didn't shift at all (well technically it did "shift" some when I was 30000 ft in the air but whose counting). Neither did my height, the length of my nose or the length of my right pinky. However, with respect to an inertial frame of reference my COM "shifted" about 1600 miles (we actually flew into PVD). Now I will probably eat too much tomorrow which will indeed "shift" my weight.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
question, do you think weight shift happens before the swing or during the swing?

Shift (used as a verb): move or cause to move from one place to another, especially over a small distance.

As you know, Dixon (Jim Sr.) broke the 'shift' into three phases.

He called phase-1 "Shift to Travel". That would be similar to what some refer to as FbC.

He called phase-2 "Shift to Explode". That would be similar to what some refer to as Overlap. It is the transitional phase of the 'shift'. The lower torso will be turning/twisting into 'touchdown'. You are flowing into the final phase of the 'shift'.

He called phase-3 "Explosion".

I don't think there is any question ... the 'shift' occurs before 'swing launch'.

I dropped the "Shift THEN Swing" versus "Shift AND Swing" nonsense a while back. To me it is simply "Pivot the Swing".

Jan 28, 2017
So, try to internal rotate the back leg/hip and load against the internal rotation?

Hitting coach in our area teaches to stride by pushing with the instep of your back foot. My DD does this and coils as she strides. The hitting coach always tells her to never let anyone change that. It seems that a lot of people disagree with pushing with the instep.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Imo. There are 2 ‘engines’ in the swing, the core and the hands. There are other forces also that aid a good sequence such as momentum and ground force. But the ground and momentum are use minimally. The core and hands are the main sources.

In my experience using ground force or momentum as a main source is a mistake and can cause to much frontal shift(towards the pitcher)which will throw off balance.

https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1053081750497181701?s=21

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Hitting coach in our area teaches to stride by pushing with the instep of your back foot. My DD does this and coils as she strides. The hitting coach always tells her to never let anyone change that. It seems that a lot of people disagree with pushing with the instep.

The stride comes from loading actions in the core and ground force imo. Forcing a stride will most likely lead to too much momentum. Jmo.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shift (used as a verb): move or cause to move from one place to another, especially over a small distance.

As you know, Dixon (Jim Sr.) broke the 'shift' into three phases.

He called phase-1 "Shift to Travel". That would be similar to what some refer to as FbC.

He called phase-2 "Shift to Explode". That would be similar to what some refer to as Overlap. It is the transitional phase of the 'shift'. The lower torso will be turning/twisting into 'touchdown'. You are flowing into the final phase of the 'shift'.

He called phase-3 "Explosion".

I don't think there is any question ... the 'shift' occurs before 'swing launch'.

I dropped the "Shift THEN Swing" versus "Shift AND Swing" nonsense a while back. To me it is simply "Pivot the Swing".

I think we are close in our thinking. Thanks for the reply.

The shift then swing is something else then just weight shift happening. Like anything there is a difference between ML players ability and amateurs.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY

We've been taught that a proper hip coil will exert outward (rotational) pressure at the rear foot OUTstep (Is that a word?)
So - rather than pushing forward from the INstep, loaded hip coil will cause your center of mass to "drift" forward when the front foot is lifted.

(not saying my DD does this well - she tends to actively push from the back foot, and the result is she gets too far forward onto her front leg at contact.
Something we are working on...)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
'Focusing' on ground force makes for a slow swing.
7iiZucv.gif

"middle out loading"
Yeah,ground force is used but shouldn't be the main focus. The rear foot will be reactive/will react.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We've been taught that a proper hip coil will exert outward (rotational) pressure at the rear foot OUTstep (Is that a word?)
So - rather than pushing forward from the INstep, loaded hip coil will cause your center of mass to "drift" forward when the front foot is lifted.

(not saying my DD does this well - she tends to actively push from the back foot, and the result is she gets too far forward onto her front leg at contact.
Something we are working on...)

This is exactly what I see when a kid leverages the wrong thing. A body part. The ground is posted up against or leveraged. This CAUSES coil. When coiling is happening the forward move gets initiated. It’s reactive. Not a push with the rear foot. If the core was loaded and balanced throughout this process. The rest of the sequence is about timing and adjusting.

Loading the core is imperative. Without this the hitter will just be in free fall and will be sesepitable to change of speed as well as to much frontal shift(towards the pitcher).

Loading the core is a balance thing and is primed from the start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28