Zepp Swing Analyzer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
It's in the thread, I read it all!!! :) You claimed to be averaging 95mph, and that you hit 100 once (both of which seem reasonable given what you said about yourself), while a student had hit 98mph.

I have never had a student or dd hit anywhere close to a bat speed of 98mph... I just re-read/ checked the thread, and never claimed that. FFS did post a screen shot of a student with those numbers....
My younger dd who is 11 now, was hitting between high 60's to mid 70's on her bat speed, but her overall mechanics were poor. She had a tendency to pinch in her back elbow, drop the back shoulder, barrel would dip way down, and then swing flat or even sharply upward. But her speed was crazy high numbers.....
Update. After addressing these issues with her and getting her mechanics cleaned up, her barrel speeds have dropped off dramatically. She now is averaging 50mph. Lesson learned here is its not all about bat speed. Focus on the details of proper sequencing, short paths, resistance etc.... the overall outcome will be improved

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2015
My apologies, it was FFS, same point applies though. That's interesting to hear about your younger DD.

Oct 2, 2015
The hand speed is crazy fast too!

At the 2 Showcases we've gone to, some of the girls were in the upper 70s to upper 80s with bat speed. Which I thought was over the top awesome!
I still wonder how/where they are getting the speed.
I'd love to see slo/mo and real time video of the swings.
I've having trouble getting 2 of my DDs consistently into the 70's.

With all of the GIFs being posted of MLB players, is the greatest single amount of bat speed coming right as the hands start to snap into the ball?
I know it's a combo of all factors, but what is THE factor to focus on to increase bat speed the most?

With a 24' batting cage in our garage, (it's cold in MN) with 12' side walls, I video them in slo-mo from the side and from directly above from a perch in the shelving. :D
We now watch that video on our TV with the AllCast phone app and the Chrome Cast stick.
That footage is very telling, when it comes to technique.
But it doesn't have the clarity of the 10,000 frame per second GIFs out there on YouTube.
So it's hard for me to see the finite details that are preventing them DDs from consistently getting into the mid 70's with bat speed.
We use the Pocket Coach to check ball exit speed, which is consistently 3 MPH slower than bat speed for DD #2. And an even or up to +5 MPH ball exit speed for DD #1.
So I guess that's fairly reassuring.
But fast hands (bat speed) gives you more time to look at the ball.
So more bat speed would be nice...

Thanks again for posting the Zepp Metrics.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
zep.jpg

a friend sent this to me. He had DD swing at his cages with the Zep. What does a negative attack angle this sever mean? Was it a low pitch that she threaded the barrel to go get? or more of a upper cut swing? I know she does have a slight upper cut swing but hits good pitching pretty good. I was just curious as to what the negative attack angle meant as I am not familiar with Zep and have read this whole thread to try and learn a little more about it. Thanks.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
View attachment 9937

a friend sent this to me. He had DD swing at his cages with the Zep. What does a negative attack angle this sever mean? Was it a low pitch that she threaded the barrel to go get? or more of a upper cut swing? I know she does have a slight upper cut swing but hits good pitching pretty good. I was just curious as to what the negative attack angle meant as I am not familiar with Zep and have read this whole thread to try and learn a little more about it. Thanks.
This particular swing may be a fluke... this swing would look like she's chopping wood. The attack angle represents the swing plane. A positive number of 0-15 is average, a negative number means she swing in a downward path. -40 is so severe that I think its an error. Every so often, the Zepp will calculate some ridiculous numbers...and the 3D model will verify this.
The 40 mph hand speed is nuts too. I work mostly with kids between 11 and 18... I don't recall ever seeing that high of hand speed yet. Even my 97mph barrel speeds show about 30mph hands

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
This particular swing may be a fluke... this swing would look like she's chopping wood. The attack angle represents the swing plane. A positive number of 0-15 is average, a negative number means she swing in a downward path. -40 is so severe that I think its an error. Every so often, the Zepp will calculate some ridiculous numbers...and the 3D model will verify this.
The 40 mph hand speed is nuts too. I work mostly with kids between 11 and 18... I don't recall ever seeing that high of hand speed yet. Even my 97mph barrel speeds show about 30mph hands

Thanks for the info. it very well could be a error I am not familiar with the Zep this was on front toss. I found one more he sent it was off a tee with a better attack angle.IMG_2120.jpg

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Thanks for the info. it very well could be a error I am not familiar with the Zep this was on front toss. I found one more he sent it was off a tee with a better attack angle.View attachment 9940
This particular swing looks really good.
Bat vertical shows that her hands are 23 degrees higher than the barrel at impact. This is great for producing line drives. The attacking angle shows that her barrel is on an upwards angle of 11 degrees. This is okay for baseball but border line for fastpitch, assuming you're getting on plane with the balls flight path. What age is this girl?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1