Zepp Swing Analyzer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
The last time we went out we focused on inside and outside pitches and the bat speeds were definitely lower. I didn't mark which ones were lowest, but I would assume the outside pitches were. She did hit a couple line drives up the middle when I missed my mark on front toss, and those were about 5-10 mph faster. I think a lot of people that have the Zepp are now focusing more on the attack angles and not the bat speed as much. One Zepp rep did tell me that they do consider the time to impact really important also but others have said that isn't as important. I know DD's swing speed from testing it a lot before having the sensor so I'm more concerned with the attack angles.
Side note: I haven't used it yet for DD but I've heard that the video camera is better than Coach's Eye, which has been driving me crazy with all the ads etc...

That is good stuff, I think we are all trying to figure out what this info means and how we can use it. I think the Zepp will really help us explore what works and what doesn't.

Are you talking about an app for your cell? I just got an iphone6 and the video is much better that the iPhone 5. I prefer Ubersense to coaches eye but Ubersense started a tagging deal that makes it harder to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
After having used the Zepp on about 2 dozen kids over the last few weeks, Ive seen a large range of data. For example, I have a 10 year old who can consistantly swing her 32/22 bat 75mph. But a 16 year old who can routinley crush balls 250' cant seem to get her bat much over 60 mph??? There isnt a cookie cutter meathod to the aproach with each user. If we simply guage their data before and after each adjustment we can see real time results assuming the pitch has an identical speed and location, or just use a tee for consistancy. I like to focus more on angles rather than speed alone. A strong "attacking" and "negitive bat vertical" numbers will produce more consistant line drives. If they just work on speed alone the angles typically suffer, the barrel typically drops, and will result in more pop ups.
As to the numbers being better or worse based on the bat used, there was a slight difference in the numbers when I tested this theory on my oldest dd. She typically swings a 2legit 34'' -10 bat. We took the data from those swings and compared them to a 33'' -9 rocketech bat. The numbers were suprising. The rt was a much slower "time to impact" and "hand speed" but the bat speed was about 5 mph higher (probably due to the increased whip effect). Angles were approx the same, maybe a touch better with the balanced bat. Overall I think she'll perform better with the 2legit, just because of the more consistant angles and a little bit faster time to impact.

Oct 10, 2011
The last time we went out we focused on inside and outside pitches and the bat speeds were definitely lower. I didn't mark which ones were lowest, but I would assume the outside pitches were. She did hit a couple line drives up the middle when I missed my mark on front toss, and those were about 5-10 mph faster. I think a lot of people that have the Zepp are now focusing more on the attack angles and not the bat speed as much. One Zepp rep did tell me that they do consider the time to impact really important also but others have said that isn't as important. I know DD's swing speed from testing it a lot before having the sensor so I'm more concerned with the attack angles.
Side note: I haven't used it yet for DD but I've heard that the video camera is better than Coach's Eye, which has been driving me crazy with all the ads etc...

That is good stuff, I think we are all trying to figure out what this info means and how we can use it. I think the Zepp will really help us explore what works and what doesn't.

Are you talking about an app for your cell? I just got an iphone6 and the video is much better that the iPhone 5. I prefer Ubersense to coaches eye but Ubersense started a tagging deal that makes it harder to use.
Yes I was referring to the video camera feature on the Zepp being better than Coaches Eye.

Oct 10, 2011
zepp

Looks like I'll be done using Zepp until HS softball is over since they go 6 days a week. I'll keep reading what you all come up with.

Jul 23, 2014
Has anyone had problems with the Zepp flying out during hitting? It flew out of the holder twice this weekend during a session. We are using a 31" LXT. It's making me pretty nervous because we were outside and it took a good 10 minutes to find it in a pile of leaves. I'm wondering if I should request a new holder.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I have had it almost come out a few times, but always saw it before it fell out. never actually had it fly out-( now that i said that it will fly out the next time i use it!)

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Mine started coming out of the original holder. Ordered a new one from Zepp a few months ago. So far so good.

Oct 10, 2011
I'm weak

So I spent some time using Zepp doing self toss and I didn't like what I saw. Good attack angles/time to impact but what gets me is that I'm not much faster than DD. I'm sure she has better technique but I'm a lot bigger. I'll admit that I only averaged 72 mph using her bat. I guess I'll be lead off hitter and James will be cleanup:)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
So I spent some time using Zepp doing self toss and I didn't like what I saw. Good attack angles/time to impact but what gets me is that I'm not much faster than DD. I'm sure she has better technique but I'm a lot bigger. I'll admit that I only averaged 72 mph using her bat. I guess I'll be lead off hitter and James will be cleanup:)

I told my 10u dd Id be her clean up.... she said awesome and left the dirty dished in the sink :confused:

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
After having used the Zepp on about 2 dozen kids over the last few weeks, Ive seen a large range of data. For example, I have a 10 year old who can consistantly swing her 32/22 bat 75mph. But a 16 year old who can routinley crush balls 250' cant seem to get her bat much over 60 mph??? There isnt a cookie cutter meathod to the aproach with each user.

There is a cookie cutter approach, but the Zepp doesnt give you all the info you need for your purpose.

It's missing the launch angle of the ball.

The 60mph kid is getting closer to an optimal launch angle (maybe in the 25-35 deg range) - caused by an increased 'attack angle' or bat swing angle (over the 75 mph kid), plus an optimal uppercut (as much as 1/2 inch below the centerline) which causes more backspin (which keeps the ball in the air longer) and creates the extra launch angle component beyond the initial bat swing angle.

Of course, you could mark these typical launch angles off in the cage. But, be prepared to be shocked when you do :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom