YES! High School Softball discussion!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
In SC the season is in the Spring and it starts in Feb and is over in May. The we go right into TB from there. Sometimes I wish we did the school ball season in the fall like GA.

Then your players would miss the biggest recruiting period of the year.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

What are the big recruiting events Aug-Oct? I know there are a couple of big ones in November, but HS ball is done by then. The biggest downside, at least for my DD, is that she misses some Friday night HS football games because of softball commitments.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If there aren't many TB players a decent TB freshman could make Varsity. DD took a starting role but got stuck with the crap work for being a freshman. She dutifully carried the ball buckets to and from the bus.

Jun 1, 2013

It is the biggest recruiting period because most everyone plays then, I would submit the best period is in the fall when college coaches actually have the time to go see players.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Tryouts are Friday/Saturday this week...should be interesting, but we have 7 returning varsity (including DD) which consist of 3 seniors, 1 junior, and 3 sophomores. I think there are at least 20 freshman/returning JV players. I don't think any freshmen will make varsity this year, but there is no telling what they will do.

How will we do? No idea. The districts got realigned, so we lost 2 very good competitors; however, we gained one good competitor, and it's one we haven't faced before so that will be interesting. Also, these coaches play in seniority order...DD will probably see corners/OF before pitching but who knows? Seriously, with our coaches, we have no idea. DD saw bench a LOT as a freshman, and she probably would have gained more experience-wise if she played on JV...but they didn't do it that way. At the season end eval, the coaches told DD they loved her, loved her athleticism, said she was awesome player, and that next year, she will be starter entire season (btw, there were 9 seniors on varsity her freshman year).

Looking forward to it though...I do think she is going to light 'em up this year.

May 7, 2014
DD has a chance to take over varsity pitching spot as a freshman since her hs graduated two senior pitchers last year. Nervous as heck!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This will be my DD's first year of Schoolball (She's in 7th grade and will play Jr High)
She been playing travel since she was 8 and loves it but she has been looking forward to playing for the school for some time.

The open Gym started here (PA) in October Tryouts are March 2nd and Games start around Mid March.
The trouble is It tends to snow here in Western PA till the second week of March then the rain starts so the season will be interesting.
I agree with whoever said they wish the season would be in the fall after travel -

I'm on the other side of PA, so I agree (or did agree) with what you are saying. Unfortunately, soccer is played in the fall here. If softball had to compete with soccer for players, I am afraid soccer would win. Not sure we would have enough left to even field a softball team.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
The DD's team has Sunday workouts with two adults (no coach contact until the 1st Friday in March), then practice, spring break trip to Florida for training, back then the season runs from April 1-Memorial day (for most teams) with Satet Finals the 1st weekend in June.

This is DD's senior season, so lets hope their is a freshman pitcher on this years roster to get and gain some experience or next year will be tough for the team - DD threw every pitch of every HS game last year.

Sep 29, 2014
Should be interesting...long story but this will be DD first chance to play HS ball as a Soph. Her interest in softball comes and goes she has played rec for last 4 years and last year freshmen JV girls came over to rec team towards end of season and she seemed to be about on par. No idea about politics and I am staying far away as possible from it. Still way too cold up here to doing anything outside so starting to hit the cages. We will see how it goes but my hope is she gets to play JV for a couple years and has a good time and makes friends. Season looks like it is only late Mar to late May. She is volunteering with small fundraiser, HS girls team puts on 8 week clinic for 8-12 yr olds (twice a week in the evenings) and coach is letting her help so that is one positive.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00