YES! High School Softball discussion!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Still in the Open Fields stage of things. Lost a signed pitcher, but there is a freshman that may or may not be a phenom, depending on who you ask. ;-)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Last year there were 20 girls to the meeting ended up with 10 on V and 10 on JV which actually worked out pretty well for V as no one got hurt so we played with a short bench and every one played a lot, no drama. This year we had 28 come to the meeting, so the teams should be more normal in size and parental drama

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Last year we had 8 Seniors on Varsity and needless to say, they all graduated. This year (it will probably be), with the exception of a Junior Pitcher and a Senior Outfielder, all Sophomores and a Freshman thrown in for good measure. The upside? Only the Senior is not a TB player and they should actually be better than last years team. It should be an interesting season to see what they'll be able to do.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Our first year of HS ball, so we are just observing and asking questions. DD and a few of her Freshmen buddies made varsity. Some upperclassmen are not pleased, but that is to be expected.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
The school district my DD plays for is bottom 3 in the state every year. They average 2-4 "C" TB players on the roster of 20, the rest really can't catch or throw. My DD is in 8th grade so High School isn't an option this year which isn't all bad considering the starting varsity catcher (just transferred from a tech school this year) just signed D1. Hopefully my DD can earn the starting Catcher position as a freshman.

Best of luck to everyone this season. This is my favorite part of the year for the forum. Love hearing about everyone's season.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
It's against our rules to practice prior to tryouts as a team:(

Same here...unless they are coached by someone other than the team coaches. Oldest DD is a Junior; they (HS Team) are playing in an indoor HS winter league. Her team, as most teams in the league are coached by a couple parents. The league runs from Mid-December till tryouts in March. They had one practice in December before the game schedule began....aside from that all they do is play games.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Our official season is March-late May. There are optional open gyms and hitting practices through the fall and winter. Nothing with the team as a whole though until the season starts.

Same here. Tryouts are mid-February.

As for travel season, younger teams might play March to November, and they might take a break in July or August. Older teams with high school girls might go May to November without much break.

DD's team will be good, but not great because projected #1 pitcher is injured.

May 8, 2012
NJ
This will be our first season for hs softball. It will be a somewhat strange season for me...I love and look forward to watching DD's practices, but that part will have to change for the hs season. Hoping we make JV for the start, and maybe get a crack at V towards end of season. Not many travel players in our school at all, so we should be ok in regards to experience/skill. Hoping she makes a good impression. Btw...how did she get here so soon? Seems like it was only yesterday we had troubles remembering which hand the glove goes on ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414