Wow! High School Softball Contract

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2013
12u baseball coach to me: You're late. To the scoreboard and back.
Me:Awwww, C'mon coach . . .
Coach: Make it two. . .

Two lessons learned. . . Be on time, don't talk back.

Never happened again. /shrug. Maybe some punishment is a good thing, sometimes.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
For the record, I'll say again that I am not opposed to "punishments" but rather listing the specific number of (name the punishment) per offense. I think that, again, it limits the coach on what their response has to be given a particular circumstance and removes the human element. Again, not all situations, players, ... are the same. That is my opinion. My opinion and roughly $7 will get you an extra value meal at Mickey D's.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Look at their facility...very, very nice.

One thing I admire about the South...Unlike the Big 10, the SEC and the rest of the South fought tooth and nail over fastpitch softball, but when they finally lost, they went 'all in'.

The "poles" appear to be light poles, located in left center to right center.

Attachments

• centralhs.JPG
    centralhs.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Or we could just ask them what "Poles" are...and have them give us a little insight and history about the contract

Our poles are from foul pole to foul pole on a 200 feet fence. I would guess that this distance equates to between 80-100 yards. Over and back is 2 poles. Players that have a big number of poles have the option of breaking it up over 3 days. The punishment is not from conditioning standpoint asuch as it is from a social standpoint. They usually run the poles during BP or before or after practice. This means while the other girls might find themselves talking about prom or any other topic of the day, they have to complete this task. It should also be noted that in 3 years we have not had an unexcused absence. They have a procedure by which they communicate with us if they need to miss a practice. Field trips, tutoring, etc are always excused. The part about the vacation should also be read more carefully. If a player makes the team and comes up and says we have a cruise already scheduled, it is excused. Once you have made the team, you are given a schedule of the entire years workouts, practices, meetings and games and you are expected to schedule around that. Once in a lifetime events are certainly excused.
We are in a fairly small town with several options for players to transfer and play. Over the past 4 years, we have had 0 transfer out and have had 6 players transfer in. The players we have enjoy the discipline. It is hard for us to play with schools from the bigger cities. We are an urban school with one of the smallest enrollment a in our classification. 7 years ago we were being beaten by 15-20 runs regularly and we are at a point now where we can stay on the field with anybody.
At the end of the day out goal is not to win, but to create better people that make good decisions. Bad decisions have consequences. Skipping practice, fighting with teammates, disrespecting opponents are all bad decisions. If you look at our twitter or our website you will not see goals about winning. They are about becoming better people and doing the right thing. These are high school kids, not adults. We are charged with the task of developing good upstanding adults in our program, not college athletes. However, over 90% of our players that finish with us go on to play at the next level. We are certainly proud of that as well as out 11 scholar athletes and our 3.56 team GPA. It was also announced today that we have the #1 and #3 ranked students in the senior class.
Thank you for your interest in our program. We do what we can to get better every day and that is how we run things here.
Sincerely,
Craig Howard
English Teacher
Assistant Softball Coach

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Or we could just ask them what "Poles" are...and have them give us a little insight and history about the contract

Our poles are from foul pole to foul pole on a 200 feet fence. I would guess that this distance equates to between 80-100 yards. Over and back is 2 poles. Players that have a big number of poles have the option of breaking it up over 3 days. The punishment is not from conditioning standpoint asuch as it is from a social standpoint. They usually run the poles during BP or before or after practice. This means while the other girls might find themselves talking about prom or any other topic of the day, they have to complete this task. It should also be noted that in 3 years we have not had an unexcused absence. They have a procedure by which they communicate with us if they need to miss a practice. Field trips, tutoring, etc are always excused. The part about the vacation should also be read more carefully. If a player makes the team and comes up and says we have a cruise already scheduled, it is excused. Once you have made the team, you are given a schedule of the entire years workouts, practices, meetings and games and you are expected to schedule around that. Once in a lifetime events are certainly excused.
We are in a fairly small town with several options for players to transfer and play. Over the past 4 years, we have had 0 transfer out and have had 6 players transfer in. The players we have enjoy the discipline. It is hard for us to play with schools from the bigger cities. We are an urban school with one of the smallest enrollment a in our classification. 7 years ago we were being beaten by 15-20 runs regularly and we are at a point now where we can stay on the field with anybody.
At the end of the day out goal is not to win, but to create better people that make good decisions. Bad decisions have consequences. Skipping practice, fighting with teammates, disrespecting opponents are all bad decisions. If you look at our twitter or our website you will not see goals about winning. They are about becoming better people and doing the right thing. These are high school kids, not adults. We are charged with the task of developing good upstanding adults in our program, not college athletes. However, over 90% of our players that finish with us go on to play at the next level. We are certainly proud of that as well as out 11 scholar athletes and our 3.56 team GPA. It was also announced today that we have the #1 and #3 ranked students in the senior class.
Thank you for your interest in our program. We do what we can to get better every day and that is how we run things here.
Sincerely,
Craig Howard
English Teacher
Assistant Softball Coach

This guy definitely sounds like he is one step away from running a chain gang to me. Where do these monsters come from? He probably has his English students read books and stuff. If they get something wrong on a test he might even use red ink to highlight their mistakes and try to diminish their self esteem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd