Wow! High School Softball Contract

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Here's more....

Thank you. I did think about one thing that is often overlooked in the role of travel ball vs high school ball. While we, as a spring sport, can't provide the exposure a travel ball team can, we certainly hold our fair share of cards. In a limited scholarship sport, a full athletic scholarship to a 4 year school is almost unheard of. So how does a player get a "full ride"? Through other, often academic, scholarship money. We had a D-1 signee 2 years ago that got a full ride. 30% was athletic, 30% was pell grant money and the rest was academic. So a kid can be looked at all day long, but if they aren't performing in the classroom, the bigger schools are gonna pass.

Again, thanks for your interest. I will probably be responding at some time today. Just to throw some perspective in the mix. I hope you weather isn't too bad up there. We will be in sunny Orlando this week playing in the Kissimmee Klassic.

Oct 18, 2009
Need to ask about the shorts rule. Why the need to bring shorts when the rules say wear pants?!??! Stop confusing these kids with all these rules and regulations already!!

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
This guy definitely sounds like he is one step away from running a chain gang to me. Where do these monsters come from? He probably has his English students read books and stuff. If they get something wrong on a test he might even use red ink to highlight their mistakes and try to diminish their self esteem.

You're wrong on this IMO. But we can agree to disagree. (unless your post is in jest, which it looks to be :))

I live in the real world where rules have to be followed whether we like them or not.

I don't know about the sleeves/no sleeves or shorts part of the rules but to me, it looks like it's well thought out. I'm sure there is an explanation.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I was at the Junior College World Series some years back, and all the teams were sitting around for the "pre-tournament" ceremonies. I listened to the different coaches, and I realized that none of them were the same. There were 16 teams, and their combined records were probably 800-50. Some were screamers, some were "good 'ol boys", some were "Uncle" types, some were analytics. The bottom line is that there is no single recipe for making good coaches.

Cannonball ran a successful program differently than the guys at Central HS. GoingDeep played for coaches who did it differently. I probably wouldn't do it the same as these guys. The one thing commonality between successful coaches--from Bobby Knight to Cannonball to Patrick Murphy to the guys at Central High school--is that they are true to who they are and what they believe.

Like Cannonball and Pat Murphy, I'm sure the guys at CHS would tell kids, "Here are the rules. If you don't like our rules, then don't play for us."

As to the "dress code"...girls (and I am willing to stick my neck out and say *GIRLS*) will try to stretch a dress code at every opportunity. I don't blame the coaches for being real specific about what the girls can or cannot wear. (In HS, my DD#2 one time left the house wearing a frumpy sweatshirt over an inappropriate top, only to "accidentally" forget her sweatshirt in her locker after the first class.)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Riseball, we are struggling right now. Still trying to work through a coaching transition. We are going to Kissimmee because we know the best in the south will be there and we want to see where we stack up. Drop by and say hey!

Looking forward to seeing your team in action. and get the idea you will do just fine. I will only be able to see you play on Thursday vs Columbia Lake City as I am headed to Panhandle the following day to see DD play.

If you get a chance check out the pitcher for Harmony on Field #2 at 4:00pm. She one of the best I have probably seen come out of Florida since Jackie Traina and is committed to the Gators.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I was at the Junior College World Series some years back, and all the teams were sitting around for the "pre-tournament" ceremonies. I listened to the different coaches, and I realized that none of them were the same. There were 16 teams, and their combined records were probably 800-50. Some were screamers, some were "good 'ol boys", some were "Uncle" types, some were analytics. The bottom line is that there is no single recipe for making good coaches.

Cannonball ran a successful program differently than the guys at Central HS. GoingDeep played for coaches who did it differently. I probably wouldn't do it the same as these guys. The one thing commonality between successful coaches--from Bobby Knight to Cannonball to Patrick Murphy to the guys at Central High school--is that they are true to who they are and what they believe.

Like Cannonball and Pat Murphy, I'm sure the guys at CHS would tell kids, "Here are the rules. If you don't like our rules, then don't play for us."

(As an aside, my DD is running into some problems like the CHS coaches addressed. It is like some of the kids are trying to see how much they can get away with.)

My DD's team started with 20+ players and they are down to about 14. Not all could handle the demands and the intensity of the program, packed it in and went home.

Mar 28, 2014
Need to ask about the shorts rule. Why the need to bring shorts when the rules say wear pants?!??! Stop confusing these kids with all these rules and regulations already!!

We practice in full practice gear. On occasion we will go to the cage and if it is hot we will allow them to wear shorts. They don't have to have shorts, but to avoid confusion, we ask that they bring them in the case we allow them to change, they will have them. Along the same lines the "sleeves" issue is to avoid confusion. Our weather teeters between too cold for short sleeves or not. To avoid asking a million times whether they need sleeves or not, they need do nothing more than look at the coaches to see what they need to wear. It avoids confusion. These kids are not confused. We have made it clear what our expectations are. We simplify a lot of the fluff around the game so out kids can concentrate on the game when we get between the lines.

Oct 18, 2009
We practice in full practice gear. On occasion we will go to the cage and if it is hot we will allow them to wear shorts. They don't have to have shorts, but to avoid confusion, we ask that they bring them in the case we allow them to change, they will have them. Along the same lines the "sleeves" issue is to avoid confusion. Our weather teeters between too cold for short sleeves or not. To avoid asking a million times whether they need sleeves or not, they need do nothing more than look at the coaches to see what they need to wear. It avoids confusion. These kids are not confused. We have made it clear what our expectations are. We simplify a lot of the fluff around the game so out kids can concentrate on the game when we get between the lines.

hehe. thanks for the response. i was kidding actually and figured it was something like that. i was actually very much in support of the rules put in place and even said it was unlikely any of the rules were broken by the kids you had on the team...

Mar 28, 2014
hehe. thanks for the response. i was kidding actually and figured it was something like that. i was actually very much in support of the rules put in place and even said it was unlikely any of the rules were broken by the kids you had on the team...

I appreciate it. I find it absolutely amazing that someone actually found this contract. It is 3 years old and cannot be found on our current website. That this topic has 12 pages of comments is crazy. Most of the things our former coach put in place came from going to the NFCA Coaches Clinics. He was a 3 star coach through that program and almost everything he did was developed from that program. I don't know how other programs can be successful without any structure. I guess they are just loaded with talent. We don't have that kind of luxury. We don't claim to know it all, but we have built a very reputable program over the last 7-8 seasons.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

As to the "dress code"...girls (and I am willing to stick my neck out and say *GIRLS*) will try to stretch a dress code at every opportunity. I don't blame the coaches for being real specific about what the girls can or cannot wear. (In HS, my DD#2 one time left the house wearing a frumpy sweatshirt over an inappropriate top, only to "accidentally" forget her sweatshirt in her locker after the first class.)

This is a very nice post. As an FYI, I am a nobody. I love coaching, love discussing hitting, enjoy talking softball ... I am an ex expert because I know that I don't know everything. Sluggers is right in that I truly believe in the way I coach but it has to fit me. Every coach is faced with a dilemma the first time that they become a coach and that is who are they as a coach. Coaching is so much easier when not in that position. LOL Somehow most find their way. I don't have any idea how many coaches I've mentored. It is a bunch. Still, the fact is that they aren't me and I'm not them. On websites like this, I give my opinion. Take it or leave it. I hope that some things I post make sense while all the time knowing that, at times, I sound like an idiot. Heck, that's the way it is. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck