Wow! High School Softball Contract

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
You're wrong on this IMO. But we can agree to disagree. (unless your post is in jest, which it looks to be :))

I live in the real world where rules have to be followed whether we like them or not.

I don't know about the sleeves/no sleeves or shorts part of the rules but to me, it looks like it's well thought out. I'm sure there is an explanation.

definitely in jest.....but the "world has rules" reminded me of this scene for some reason...comically of course.

Mar 28, 2014
This is a very nice post. As an FYI, I am a nobody. I love coaching, love discussing hitting, enjoy talking softball ... I am an ex expert because I know that I don't know everything. Sluggers is right in that I truly believe in the way I coach but it has to fit me. Every coach is faced with a dilemma the first time that they become a coach and that is who are they as a coach. Coaching is so much easier when not in that position. LOL Somehow most find their way. I don't have any idea how many coaches I've mentored. It is a bunch. Still, the fact is that they aren't me and I'm not them. On websites like this, I give my opinion. Take it or leave it. I hope that some things I post make sense while all the time knowing that, at times, I sound like an idiot. Heck, that's the way it is. :cool:
Cannonball, this is so true. We have a new head coach this year. He has several years of head coaching experience, but came over as an assistant last year. Everyone expected him to do the same thing as the previous head coach. While they agree on so much, their styles are completely different. This has made it difficult to get going this season as everybody starts to buy into the new system. The fact is that he has to stay true to himself and as we hit the midway point of the season, we are finally starting to come together as a team.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I was at the Junior College World Series some years back, and all the teams were sitting around for the "pre-tournament" ceremonies. I listened to the different coaches, and I realized that none of them were the same. There were 16 teams, and their combined records were probably 800-50. Some were screamers, some were "good 'ol boys", some were "Uncle" types, some were analytics. The bottom line is that there is no single recipe for making good coaches.

Cannonball ran a successful program differently than the guys at Central HS. GoingDeep played for coaches who did it differently. I probably wouldn't do it the same as these guys. The one thing commonality between successful coaches--from Bobby Knight to Cannonball to Patrick Murphy to the guys at Central High school--is that they are true to who they are and what they believe.

Like Cannonball and Pat Murphy, I'm sure the guys at CHS would tell kids, "Here are the rules. If you don't like our rules, then don't play for us."

As to the "dress code"...girls (and I am willing to stick my neck out and say *GIRLS*) will try to stretch a dress code at every opportunity. I don't blame the coaches for being real specific about what the girls can or cannot wear. (In HS, my DD#2 one time left the house wearing a frumpy sweatshirt over an inappropriate top, only to "accidentally" forget her sweatshirt in her locker after the first class.)

Over the years I've played for many different "type" coaches with different "styles". I couldn't come right out and say Coach A was better than Coach C, each had their own positives and negatives. Some I enjoyed playing for more than others.

Without giving 100's of individual examples, I can say that when I started coaching I used a collective of the ideals that I had experienced playing. What I brought to the table the most is what I "remembered" I enjoyed about Coach ____. For me it was a recipe of fun, excitement, positive variety, fairness, firmness when needed, a smidgen of freedom, and most of all......humor.

I'm not saying be silly 24/7, but every now and then show the kids you don't have a stick up your rear. The competitiveness of this game is stressful, and laughter relaxes that. Group laughter has a bonding effect.

I always tried to remember I was young at one point, and was not perfect. ( I know it's hard to believe ) Once at State, a few of us dad's are sitting tailgate about 2am in the hotel parking lot. We see 4 girls running across the street to the gas station. I know who it is, my DD and 3 friends in tow, her roommates. Having a master card key to the hotel room, I ease up and let myself in waiting on them to get back while another dad watches to make sure they are ok from a distance. You should have seen their eyes when they opened the door and I was sitting in their room. They had bought cans of Pringles, cheese dip, and Dr Pepper. One girl begged me not to tell her dad, and I told her I wouldn't........but to not do that again because of the danger. Funny thing is he was the one "watching" to make sure they crossed the street safe. As dads and coaches, we never let them know..........we knew. Again, sometimes you can "bond" in the smallest of ways.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Saw Central High play at the Kissimmee Klassic today. From the coaches to the players to the parents and fans they are class orginization. They are a shining example of what HS softball can and should be. Coaching was always positive even when players made basic mental mistakes. Case in point; runner at 2B got too far off bag and was thrown out to end inning. Coach at 3B (assume HC) waited as she came toward him on way to the dugout. He did not appear to say a word. Just made eye contact, smiled, and gave her a high five as she went by. She knew she screwed up and no words or coaching was necessary. Wish all teams were like them. If you get the chance go see them play.

Mar 28, 2014
We appreciate the kind words. Wish we could have started off a little better, but credit Columbia with forcing our hand early today. We really do try to practice what we preach and we are fortunate to have outstanding young ladies playing for us. They make us what we are, not the coaches. We have always maintained that we will do what we can to put you in position to be your best, but in the end the players play the game. One thing that never was mentioned as an aspect of the contract is that the commitment to the contract is really more about committing to the team, not the coach. The people that do not want to hold up their end of the contract probably have an individual goal rather than a team goal and quite frankly, we are better off without those players. Riseball, thank you for given us the benefit of the doubt. You were fairly critical at first, but I believe what you saw was an example of using items like that contract to weed out individuals and mold a team that believes in themselves. Hope you have a good weekend with your DD and again your kind words are greatly appreciated. That means more to us that we have helped mold respectful young women, than whether we have won or lost. The winning takes
care of itself when you do the right things for the right reasons!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Can I ask why all the examples of coaches are always male? Uncle, ole boy, guys, etc. Really. Women can't even get a job or recognition in their own sport...

As far as the school with that contract, I will never see them play nor give them any props. The results are not worth the unethical means. It is my understanding that some letters have been sent to the school district. Funny it is antibullying week.....

... and when did you send those letters?

The reason for a lot of HS districts having male coaches is that women don't apply as often. For example, when I took over the softball program here, no one applied male or female. My dd came to me in February and only 20 days before the start of the season begging me to apply. I never wanted to coach my dd in HS. I would say that in my area, there are more women slowly becoming head coaches. It might be 60-40 now.

May 14, 2010
Isn't it funny that if a program has a document with expectations and punishments, they're unethical bullies. If they don't publish those expectations for all to see, they are failing to communicate and shouldn't hold anyone accountable.

And we wonder why so many people choose not to coach?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32