Why you should use 3 speeds in pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Nobody interested in why to use 3 speeds, good!!!

Maybe Lisa taught Jordan to pitch, but I bet it was more monkey see.

I doubt Ernie taught Lisa too.

Some don't answer my questions, because the answers are for granted, the questions are too hard to understand, or they don't know the answer.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Some don't answer my questions, because the answers are for granted, the questions are too hard to understand, or they don't know the answer.

After contemplating X pitcher's last post, I realize that all one needs to post something salient on this board is a list of Yoda quotes:

”Already know you that which you need.”

"Control, control. You must learn control!"

“I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.”

” Faith in your new apprentice, misplaced may be."

“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are … a different game you should play”

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
After contemplating X pitcher's last post, I realize that all one needs to post something salient on this board is a list of Yoda quotes:

”Already know you that which you need.”

"Control, control. You must learn control!"

“I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.”

” Faith in your new apprentice, misplaced may be."

“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are … a different game you should play”

Re-Cycle=Wrong...or go back and correct this quiz....so you'll be ready for the test ...LOL

I call it the learning language. I do a similar effect when i need to learn something. I scan the book, then convert the text to a wave audio format. Then listen to it with my choice voices. I'm finding the South African English the most effective. As you are listening, and are so happy not to have to be reading...just because you can do it while driving, or waiting in line...ect...with just an ear plug. As you find out, the computer voice is not as good as the real voice of a Audio Book readers... The hisp & hesitation's (errors so to speak) forces you to contemplation of it... you are helping it so to speak... therefore you remember & comprehend more....You must notice the same effects in my writing...

That show is why I don't watch TV anymore... but the women does....reruns for now 12 years(exsample)....every weekday night at 11:30....&^%$@@

You can do the same with the 3 speeds of the audio...on my recorder.....slow the first time I listen... then fast after I have kinda scanned the first time. Normal speed just makes me sleepy. I wonder if this has any relevance to pitching speeds.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
X pitcher,

Answering one of your questions is like trying to throw a superball against a concrete wall and hoping it will stick. TOTAL WASTE OF TI ME.

You may know something about the men's game but it is obvious you have no knowledge of youth sports in fastpitch.

I have suggested this to you already.

1. Go out and watch youth tournaments.
2. Donate your time to a young team and help their pitchers.

Then come back here and tell us of that experience. THAT I would love to hear about.

However, if you are going to continue asking the simplest questions, GO HIRE A PITCHING INSTRUCTOR !

You rode on Bills shirttails and got in trouble for it. Now you are trying to get your name attached to me by riding my shirttails.

Go learn the youth game because NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE MENS GAME.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
X pitcher,

Answering one of your questions is........TOTAL WASTE OF TIME.

Well that was the fourth reason not to answer.........But he didn't think of that..........

You may know something about the men's game but it is obvious you have no knowledge of youth sports in fastpitch.

I have suggested this to you already.

1. Go out and watch youth tournaments.
2. Donate your time to a young team and help their pitchers.

Then come back here and tell us of that experience. THAT I would love to hear about.

Wait, I though he said he taught his own 11yo DD that drop grip and she struck out a bunch of batters in a rec league all-star game.........That was the last we heard about his DD the all-star pitcher........

However, if you are going to continue asking the simplest questions, GO HIRE A PITCHING INSTRUCTOR !

Bwaaaaa-hahaha.......Now that CRACKED me up!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Wow. You REALLY need to go watch some games. Just so you know, the one thing a slapper MUST have is the pitcher's timing down pat. I dont know what kind of softball you played but it was definitely not as sophisticated as the gals game today.

Go watch some games, and take some note pads and pecils along.

Last edited:

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
You won't answer the question how you control 3 speeds because my question is a waste of your time. You say you threw a fast ball that went straight and was over powering to hitters. I assume all your pitches were over powering, rise included, so why would you let up and slow it down to give a hitter a better chance to hit it. Why wouldn't your over powering speed and deceiving a change up be enough change in speed to keep a hitter from digging in? You say you had over 6 different pitches. Did all your pitches except you change up have multiple speeds? I can't imagine a 10 yo learning 3 speeds or why they would need 3 speeds with one pitch and control problems. I guess you have taught hundreds of 10 yo girls and they returned year after year to learn more. The girls game today is so sophisticated, because there are thousands teaching so many different ways making the game so hard to figure what is right and wrong. I'm sure you see things that are wrong and then try to make them right. I'm sure you aren't the only one who thinks I'm wrong and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks you are not always right. You haven't proved to me that a pitcher needs 3 speeds or more than 3 pitches and more than 1 wind up.
What is the title of this thread started by you?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2012
Good coaches teach players of all ages while learning from those same players. Any real educator will attest to that so says my masters degree and 20 yrs exp.

So Lisa taught Earnier and Earnie was smart enough to learn from Lisa.

I dont know Earnie but I know kids and educators/coaches. If Earnie sucked he wouldnt be respected by those players.

Now on topic Hal. i agree w three speeds. I teach the same at all AGES W GREAT SUCCESS. Now I have to have them make subtle windup changes to do it. Yes i have read your book but is their a way to simplify this?

Also I believe in 2 plane movement. My DD mixes speeds w 2 plane movement-12yo thats successful at 16B-18B *(high school level)

What she has a hard time mastering is throwin sais offspeed that breaks and coming back with her true fastball speed on next pitch due to the subtle windup differences. Can you help me with that? Here or offline?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
X pitcher, have you ever had to throw multiple games in a day? I have had to throw as many as 5. If I threw nothing but as fast as I could, I might have done well in the first three or 2 and 1/2

Its the full out everything but the kitchen sink fasty pitches that tire you out. That leads to injuries if you push it beyond that point. Using lots of off speed and slow change ups, you can pitch many games in a day. This is the same for men and young girls.

As I have said before, using more than 2 speeds, the hitter cannot be trained to deal with that. 2 speeds, yes. 3 speeds, no.

You need to goi out and watch these kids play.