Why you should use 3 speeds in pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
As I understand it Ernie never pitched. He does, however, have a list of elite pitchers and Olympic pitchers to his credit that I doubt anyone else will ever come close to touching.

Oh yeah, by the way, he teaches the same three windups I taught my students.

You can pitch great and be a lousy teacher. You dont have to pitch at all to be a great pitching instructor.

My students taught me as much about teaching pitching to different age students than I knew when I started instructing. That is what you need to do and why I said go work with 10 year old girls and see how much you learn from them. It is obvious your teaching skills to young players is next to nothing and your opinion of girls that pitch are down right insulting at times.

If you have the courage, why dont you find a local young team and offer to help them, they might welcome it. TEACH EM LIKE YOU WOULD A GUY. They will teach you as you learn to coach kids.

I know they will amaze you and change your opinions on many things.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Sorry about the highjack Hal, but the change of speed comment reminded me of this. Why is it that the commentators on TV calling games are morons that refuse to learn the game their working? If I were a fraction of the incompetence level some of these people are at my job, I'd have been fired years ago. Every single change up is called an off speed, everything high is a rise, everything inside is a screwball etc... pet peeve, sometimes I watch the game on mute because Pam Wards comments are like fingernails on a chalk board.

Jun 13, 2009
As I understand it Ernie never pitched. He does, however, have a list of elite pitchers and Olympic pitchers to his credit that I doubt anyone else will ever come close to touching.

Hal, that is an absolute untruth. As it was explained to me, Ernie never claimed he took credit for Olympic pitchers but he never corrects anyone about it either, therefore the myth still applies that he taught Finch, Osterman, Fernandez, etc. I realize what I'm saying is 2nd hand information so, you can believe it or not. But as it was told to me, Finch (for example) may have attended a camp of Ernie's and there's photos of them together but, she is not his student and never was. Yet the myth is out there that he taught her. Fernandez was 16 years old when Parker joined her travel club, so she was already well on her way.

This is not Ernie bashing. It's just what I was told by someone who would know. I realize you think he's the best and those facts won't ruin that for you.

CG

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If I am mistaken on Ernies resume, then I am mistaken.

However, I will still pick Ernie over any college pitcher. He is extremely knowledgeable and HE KNOWS HOW TO TEACH WHAT HE KNOWS.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal, how do you control 3 speeds, on the same pitch? Is it just a matter of intent? Are the motions and spins the same for 3 speeds?

The same exacy way I teach a change up, is the exact sane way I teach them to throw at different speeds. It is the same way I taught my self when I was a young teenager.

That training method is something I never have talked about in any forum and never will.

My reply to your questions are going to be, Go find a young team and volunteer your services. Learn from being a participant like most on this board have done.

Jun 13, 2009
Along the topic of Fernandez, at age 16, she was very much a beginning pitcher.

Amy, I think you are mistaken. You're going to say she went from beginner (age 16) to UCLA 2 years later? She was on the Panther's team in California who were a perennial contender for the ASA national title.

CG

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Nobody interested in why to use 3 speeds, good!!!

Maybe Lisa taught Jordan to pitch, but I bet it was more monkey see.

I doubt Ernie taught Lisa too.

Some don't answer my questions, because the answers are for granted, the questions are too hard to understand, or they don't know the answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oconnell.patrick