Why do we demonize hitting batters so much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2010
I don't understand why its taboo. It's part of the game. My dd hasn't played for an organization yet where this doesn't happen. Did I say you go out and intentionally hurt someone by shooting for the ear hole? NO. But a shove into the thigh stings a little and can clearly send a message. We have got to stop being sissies.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
But a shove into the thigh stings a little and can clearly send a message. We have got to stop being sissies.
How about my kid drills yours for taking a lead off to send a message.

Better yet, lets have one of our pitchers who can hit 60mph drill you in the ribs and then you tell me about sissys.

You don't play TB in the upper age levels if you are a sissy and you don't send messages. The screw is a legitimate pitch in the arsenal. The pitch thrown to hit someone is not.

Jun 14, 2010
How about my kid drills yours for taking a lead off to send a message.

Better yet, lets have one of our pitchers who can hit 60mph drill you in the ribs and then you tell me about sissys.

Where did I say ribs? I SAID thigh. IF you are naive enough to believe it doesn't happen at every single level then so be it. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean she isn't getting beaned. Teach your DD how to take a hit.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If your kid could hit marks the size of a thigh she wouldn't need to throw at kids. Everybody gets hit...it's the intentional throwing at the peeves me. My kid gets beaned enough by wild things that think they have command of the ball. I'll alter the suggestion since your scare of taking on in the ribs, lets see you stand in a take a 55-60mph pitch to the thigh, hope its not a little low and you take it on the knee or high and you get a hip pointer.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2010
Just so you know, I've seen jdcii take several hits to the ribs. And his dd has been hit intentionally several times for sitting the opposing batters down in consecutive order. Just thought you'd like to know.

Jun 14, 2010
If your kid could hit marks the size of a thigh she wouldn't need to throw at kids. Everybody gets hit...it's the intentional throwing at the peeves me. My kid gets beaned enough by wild things that think they have command of the ball. I'll alter the suggestion since your scare of taking on in the ribs, lets see you stand in a take a 55-60mph pitch to the thigh, hope its not a little low and you take it on the knee or high and you get a hip pointer.

Who said she is throwing at kids? I suggested that its part of the game and it does happen. There are some girls who play dirty and need to be reminded from time to time who is truly in control of the game.

Is it ok for the catcher to intentionally miss a pitch to wake up the umpire?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would have pulled my DD immediately, had anyone ever signaled her to hit a batter. It is not even negotiable. And I instruct all of my students and their parents, to react the same way. Intentionally hitting a girl because she is a better athlete than you, is totally bush league.

Jun 14, 2010
I would have pulled my DD immediately, had anyone ever signaled her to hit a batter. It is not even negotiable. And I instruct all of my students and their parents, to react the same way. Intentionally hitting a girl because she is a better athlete than you, is totally bush league.

How would you know if you aren't calling the pitches? No where was anyone arguing hitting the girl because she is a better athlete. Why are reading more than what is written?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Since you said you DD hasn't played for an organization where it doesn't happen I figured she took part in it and you condonned it.

My dd hasn't played for an organization yet where this doesn't happen. Did I say you go out and intentionally hurt someone by shooting for the ear hole? NO. But a shove into the thigh stings a little and can clearly send a message.

If someone hit your kid intentionally I'd call that coach out for calling it. That is not part of the game. And if my kid pulled her glove so the ump could eat one that would be the last game my kid played.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes