Why do girls stand at the front of the box?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
Is inside and outside movement of the batter allowed by estimation of those against moving up and back in the box as a tool?

Just yesterday, the college players were moving inside and outside in the box, both for the count and the pitcher's arsenal. A slapper moved inside when she kept getting screwballs, for example.

One pitcher's 'out' pitch was a curve, so the righty moved inside with 2 strikes to protect.

It is common for elite hitters to attempt to hit a certain pitch and LAY OFF another type as well, so they often don't try and find a "compromise" spot that covers all pitches as someone posted, at least early in the count.

They should find a compromise spot. A good catcher should see the batter's change of position and then pitch accordingly.

If a slapper moves in to get to the screw, I would now throw a pitch that is difficult to hit from her new position. Then when she backs off to get to that pitch, throw the screw again. It's dumb to move around, IMO.

Now, if you think moving in to get a better shot at the screw, is not going to hurt your chances on other pitches, then go ahead. But, I doubt that is the case.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
Others that have also been doing this a long time, and also watch a lot of collegiate softball, know that placement in the batter's box is a tool used throughout the game. Not uncommon for an entire team to change attack plans multiple times throughout a game. A few years back, during the college world series, the camera panned to a coach explaining to his players why he was directing them to move up in the batter's box ... and it was to counter a steady barrage of curve balls and screw balls.

Ok you win

May 16, 2010
For slappers and some hitters they like to have a better chance of hitting the ball fair. When you move up in the box, your chances of hitting the ball into fair territory increase. Much like when baseball players move up in the box to sacrifice bunt.

That may be true, but I would think that the number of times that it actually decides fair or foul, (for non-slap, non-bunt) is pretty low. I would want plate coverage and time, over a spot that MAY occasionally help get the ball fair.

Oct 25, 2009
Slappers normally start from the back of the box and run towards the front; they don't start at the front. Sacrifice bunters usually start at the front for a better chance of the ball staying fair.

Screw balls come in on the batter, not out.

Jan 23, 2009
Just jumping in in between games.

Plate coverage? #1 3/4 of every 16yr female player I know is bigger than I am. Plate coverage #2 a person 5'7 or under can't reach a legit called strike on the outside of the plate? HUH?

#3 inside/outside. Don't know anyone in the move up in box camp that does it to cut of the curve/screw. I/we do it to cut off drop and rise, and a couple feet up can cut off a foot of up and down movement.

The teach girls and women different because they are girls and women doesn't fly around here.

This thread started by asking why girls don't stand in the back of the box like MLB players. Based on that starting point (standing in the back of the box, rear foot on or near the back line), many girls 5' 7" and under will not be able to put a curve on the outer edge in play with authority. It's not that they will not reach it, they may. But they will hit it weakly. No matter what anyone says, girls and women "in general" are smaller (and thus have a shorter stride length and shorter arms) and have less upper body strength than men and boys. thus it is reasonable to expect to "alter" strategy for hitting in order to have them be successful.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
That may be true, but I would think that the number of times that it actually decides fair or foul, (for non-slap, non-bunt) is pretty low. I would want plate coverage and time, over a spot that MAY occasionally help get the ball fair.

I'd agree with that. Comfort is a big key. If the hitter is comfortable up in the box, for whatever reason, I'm all for it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Wellphyt, since you believe plate coverage is not a function of one's depth in the box, then why do you prefer Lockwood's placement in the above GIF relative to Yee's?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Tim, I completely agree.

To all, I've mentioned a couple of times in this thread that often at the collegiate level, umps give 2 balls out and so, on that breaking pitch, it is nearly impossible to hit it back in the box. As of this time in this thread, that hasn't been addressed other than a statement that if you take that pitch away, you set youself up for the fastball. Remember, my contention that a hitter bases their approach at the plate with the caveat that the ask themselves whether the pitcher can beat them with the fastball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole