Who says if you can hit you can make the team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You didn't answer the question. Since your daughter is "turfed to OF" during practice ... then why is it that "she doesn't really know how to play" in the OF?

If she is receiving practice time in the OF then why isn't she learning the position?

You say she doesn't know how to track balls. Is that something that can be learned and addressed with practice? Have you worked on her with this? If you have, and she isn't getting it, then might it be that you haven't taught her the finer details for tracking a ball?

It sounds like your daughter is being given an opportunity to win a position during practices. Further, it sounds like you know what position that is. The question comes down to whether you care enough to put in the effort to win playing time in that position.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
FFS-
DD never played OF when I had the time to work with her. Now I don't have the time to teach her.

You say she doesn't know how to track balls.
she got to play OF a few times over the summer and has improved her ability quite a bit, but she hasn't done it enough to believe in herself.

"turfed to the OF" means getting some kind of generic fielding practice administered by a team captain or two without any kind of coach involvement. This usually includes JV players who are up for the day. When they do real OF practice with actual batted balls she is seldom involved.

Personally I think OF would be good for her. she has one of the best throwing arms on the team and her speed is fairly good.

It sounds like your daughter is being given an opportunity to win a position during practices. Further, it sounds like you know what position that is.
I suppose if life were fair that would be the case. Make no mistake- DD is not given the opportunity to win anything. He has players from last year that he needs to keep happy, he has seniors that he has to keep (school policy) that he'd rather be without and he has "political obligations" in deals he has made with some parents. He can use her as a DH and still carry players who aren't as good but that he has already committed to. If he has to play her in the field, that's one more political problem.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
I'm sure politics is everywhere but mostly I just see people with different opinions chalking up others reasons for not doing what they think is right to politics. Coach and you may have a different opinion on your kids ability, and the coach might be wrong, and you might be wrong, but the coach sets the lineups and is the one who will get fired if the team doesn't perform. I hear people talk about politics here all the time, when I see kids of people who work in the AD's office cut from teams it makes it hard for me to believe anyone has the pull to get their kids playing time if they can't earn it.

Kid who graduated here two years ago started DPing as freshman in college and worked into the starting catching job by #1 showing her bat needed to be in the lineup, #2 Being ready to perform when a starting defensive player was weak. Sounds like your kid has plenty of ability and visibility to the coach, just tell her to keep working hard, have a good attitude and things will work out.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Good points thanks!

btw- that coach isn't going anywhere until he wants to. no one's getting fired and he and the AD are buds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06