Where are you going - before you start?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
That's great Teach. I encourage people to check your stuff out. It is a fast path to deciding that you should look deeper into what self proclaimed hitting gurus try to peddle.

2 is not really anything to brag about though, I am sure there are several Nigerian Princes who got 100's of new customers today. both groups will be equally satisfied with their investments.

Dec 19, 2012
I think the issue that people are having (I know I am) with what Howe suggests is that it almost infers two moves. "Getting the handle where it needs to be" implies that you're repositioning the handle, then swinging.

There's something called pitch selection. You look for a pitch in a certain area of the zone. You can't hit everything.

If you have not yet launched the barrel (Direct Then Launch), getting the hands on the correct path is easier because you are not fighting the weight of the swinging barrel. To say that it's easier (read better or more correct) to Lauch Then Direct just makes ZERO sense.

Also, my theory is with 0 strikes you swing at your pitch. With 1 strike you look for a pitch in the strike zone. With 2 strikes you swing at anything in a slightly expanded strike zone. Waste what you don't like and find your pitch. You can't have pitch selection with 2 strikes on you.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Here is the money shot TM
There is no snap....there is no finger flick...you lure people in with the promises of hitting riches but at the end of the day there is just a good old fashioned coil and stretch, about as basic as you can get. forward by coil, feel a stretch, get the hands in the right position and swing the friggin bat...with your weight more back at launch but DEFINITELY using two legs. And there isn't a hand pivot point, there IS a hand pivot ARC...you lying gasbag. All the hitters you posted pivot on an arc while you teach pivoting on a point while standing on one leg.

At the end of the day it comes down to teaching...anyone can look at a swing and say they are doing this or that...how you teach it MATTERS. And your drills are so bad they ruin hitters.

My kid that I put through the beginning of your house of horrors with more rigidity went from great contact to a pop up machine directly following the barrel dump drill and the one legged swing drill....FACT.

Went to a more hand centric approach and just focused on good balance and a clean swing path and she is absolutely kling the ball again....FACT.

She will fix her leveling issue and continue to kill it and will NEVER have to endure those drills again.

While doing it you should have heard her comments about how unnatural the drills were...10 year old was smarter than me at the time. she instinctively knew that standing on one foot and trying to swing the bat behind her was an abomination.

So go ahead and think you are the teacher....you are...of fawning weak willed people who don't want to go it alone or seek better instruction. But to the rest of us you are a huckster and cannot be taken even slightly seriously.

So thanks for the write up of your framework. I wish there was some thing there I could agree with but all it is fluff with nothing that will ever teach a kid to hit a ball.

FACT.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think the issue that people are having (I know I am) with what Howe suggests is that it almost infers two moves. "Getting the handle where it needs to be" implies that you're repositioning the handle, then swinging.

There's something called pitch selection. You look for a pitch in a certain area of the zone. You can't hit everything.

The pitcher stands 60'6" away from home plate.
The ball is released someplace close to 55' from home plate.
Swing launch (or whatever you want to call it) occurs at approximately 20' from home plate (with some variability).

That leaves 35' for hand/eye coordination to "prepare for launch". Obviously the eyes are extremely important for any type of success. But why is it so inconceivable that the body and hands are also involved in the "preparation"?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
huckster-

There is unnatural as in "this feels different". And there is unnatural as in "WTF are you thinking dad, you have me standing on one foot and swinging the bat behind me"

Two different things. I would take a trip into your hitting torture chamber and show kids turning frisbee a, standing on one leg, contorting their bodies to try to stay balanced, dumping barrels etc. but is it really worth it...

You are 007. License to kill a hitter.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. IMO, Voldemort's insistence on swinging a bat to try it yourself before accepting something as fact or truth is a saving grace and explains his continual need to troll DFP and other sites for new members.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion.

Every hitter that has worked at and gotten proficient at what I teach has MATCHED VIDEO....and improved.

Hey--- Me too!! both my girls have improved and I have individual swings on video that I can put up and distort facts to say they match high level video. Especially off the tee like so many of your best clips. I can put up some great tee clips. I should start a hitting website too.

You've been in this game long enough, care to share some of the names of the fastpitch hitters you have taken to the next level? the list must be long by now, you should be able to claim at least a few top 10 D1 college players, and a whole host of players on top notch orgs. let's have it big guy....throw out your CV to us.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
Swing launch (or whatever you want to call it) occurs at approximately 20' from home plate (with some variability).

That leaves 35' for hand/eye coordination to "prepare for launch". Obviously the eyes are extremely important for any type of success. But why is it so inconceivable that the body and hands are also involved in the "preparation"?

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Thanks

i think you are playing the wrong game :)

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
JJ, I know I've been a PITA. But I guess it is best that you went through this exercise for yourself. Glad you had a chance to vet this out.

I formally retract the hamster comments. You are now a bull moose. LOL

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Thanks

i think you are playing the wrong game :)

Lol!! The game I prefer has the pitch starting much closer to home plate, but most of the hitters we are discussing don't play that game...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild