Where are you going - before you start?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I am kind of speechless that such a simple concept can be bastardized so badly. TM you are not only removing a stoppage from a loaded system in your demo. It is friggin ridiculous for you to say that. Have some integrity.

And the bat was swung. Been out here all morning playing with my bat :)

Aug 28, 2012
Nice work Howe! You missed Rich's word smithing to incorporate directing before launch.

Launch Movement. It happens before launch per his definition. He also wanted to distinguish between general directing that is encompassed in that launch movement from the directing that comes after launch.

That description where there is some directing/adjusting before launch, as well as continued directing/adjusting after launch echoes a description that Kevin G shared recently on BBF. "Since every swing is nothing more then a transport-to-intercept platform for sweet spot to the ball.....adjustment is early and constant all the way to impact."

Thank you for the continued effort!

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Nice work Howe! You missed Rich's word smithing to incorporate directing before launch.

Launch Movement. It happens before launch per his definition. He also wanted to distinguish between general directing that is encompassed in that launch movement from the directing that comes after launch.

That description where there is some directing/adjusting before launch, as well as continued directing/adjusting after launch echoes a description that Kevin G shared recently on BBF. "Since every swing is nothing more then a transport-to-intercept platform for sweet spot to the ball.....adjustment is early and constant all the way to impact."

Thank you for the continued effort!
Anytime. Always glad to help.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
There should be more emphases on the smart end of the bat.

There are two competing priorities for the hands:
  • Get inside the ball
  • Load/Launch the barrel
Like this:
MannysHands.gif

Not this:
BSHandTurn.gif
ChubsyUbsy.gif

There is nothing in their teaching, that accounts for holding the loaded barrel until release. Swing after swing shows the front wrist unhinged WAY EARLY. Clueless about how the top hand really works. The best they have are elementary questions about the "barrel arcing rearward". They bank on the low information members over there.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2012
Even Oleary knows not to unhinge the front wrist too early...

I wonder if he learned that from a "client."

He's clueless with regard to hitting. His pitching stuff is okay, but still has a lot of the Marshall "do this or you'll get injured" dogma behind it.

Jan 13, 2012
I think the issue that people are having (I know I am) with what Howe suggests is that it almost infers two moves. "Getting the handle where it needs to be" implies that you're repositioning the handle, then swinging.

There's something called pitch selection. You look for a pitch in a certain area of the zone. You can't hit everything.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I'm glad you posted the old coil around and lift the front leg. That shows exactly what I am talking about. Do you see a snapped rubber band? I don't...I see a slow unwind of the figurine on a little girls jewelry box...a rather rotund figurine at that. you claim there is a finger snap suddenness but your example shows something much slower.

so let's ditch the finger flick analogy once and for all shall we, unless you can do the same motion and have it about 10x faster.

Then we can have a real discussion about what a high level load and stretch is and show that it is NOT as one legged as you believe and many of the swings you call pushes are not pushing at all and many of the swings you say are snapped through by the false Finger snap are not doing that either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi