Where are you going - before you start?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I think the issue that people are having (I know I am) with what Howe suggests is that it almost infers two moves. "Getting the handle where it needs to be" implies that you're repositioning the handle, then swinging.

There's something called pitch selection. You look for a pitch in a certain area of the zone. You can't hit everything.
Wouldn't be the first time you didn't get it. Then again, you have reached out to me in the past and apologized and admitted. If you can't recognize the difference between Manny and Mancow, I'll let you work it out. Might take some de-programming though. I know you are way deep into the terminology and make believe movements.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
30 days free at Hitting Illustrated. Take your arguments with the owner there. It doesn't belong here.

I don't view these as arguments.

I view these as pointing out philosophical differences. I think parents and coaches have the right to know what the differences are before they make a decision to join or not join that pay-for website...CP

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I'm glad you posted the old coil around and lift the front leg. That shows exactly what I am talking about. Do you see a snapped rubber band? I don't...I see a slow unwind of the figurine on a little girls jewelry box...a rather rotund figurine at that. you claim there is a finger snap suddenness but your example shows something much slower.

so let's ditch the finger flick analogy once and for all shall we, unless you can do the same motion and have it about 10x faster.

Then we can have a real discussion about what a high level load and stretch is and show that it is NOT as one legged as you believe and many of the swings you call pushes are not pushing at all and many of the swings you say are snapped through by the false Finger snap are not doing that either.

Yep one of these are pushes in Rich's world..;)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Nice work Howe! You missed Rich's word smithing to incorporate directing before launch.

Launch Movement. It happens before launch per his definition. He also wanted to distinguish between general directing that is encompassed in that launch movement from the directing that comes after launch.

That description where there is some directing/adjusting before launch, as well as continued directing/adjusting after launch echoes a description that Kevin G shared recently on BBF. "Since every swing is nothing more then a transport-to-intercept platform for sweet spot to the ball.....adjustment is early and constant all the way to impact."

Thank you for the continued effort!

Howe and I have had these conversations for a very long time. His criticism of my dd's swing and then comments at that time LONG AGO contained similar remarks to what he is saying here.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Howe and I have had these conversations for a very long time. His criticism of my dd's swing and then comments at that time LONG AGO contained similar remarks to what he is saying here.
Coach, your DD has had more successes under your guidance, than he could ever dream of. It's sour grapes by him, always has been and always will be. None of the 3 Skank men could swing a bat to save their lives.

Bluster and buffets is their specialty. :D Here's a picture of old man Skank when he was just 1 day old:
ChubsyUbsy.gif

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Good- we are making progress. We have gone from a finger flick to a people mover. Much better description of the force multiplier available to the swing based on how a hitter coils.

so on point #1. Can we agree that there is quickness to be added from a good coil but it is not anything like a finger flick. More like a people mover. now we can go on to the specific amount of giddy up various stretches offer a hitter.

this is where video will be our friend. it is not hard to look at video and see where the evidence is of this giddy up. I will prepare some clips.

Note- I do not have an answer for this, I have never looked specifically at swings that have been labelled as HI approved vs. those labelled pushes to see what is actually happening in the early bat speed.

I do know that video is a great tool and any claim of suddenness should be easily seen and measured.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Just when I thought we were going somewhere...a HUGE backtrack...

You went from "mow much faster does it need to be?" And people mover...back to finger flick.

HINT- go with the people mover and you have a fighting chance of coming out of this with a slight shred of dignity.

Stick with finger flick and your house of cards is an ant fart away from crumbling.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Nice trick...I love the idea of comparing a slow motion clip to realtime.

Do your members fall for that stuff?

If you recall our last go around. I synced our clips and asked you to show where yours was either quicker on the draw or faster at the ball and you short circuited with the whole "can't feel it- never saw it". Blah blah blah.

I said I saw two out of shape guys swinging a bat.

In any case you could not then point to anything in the video and show yours was better or faster. I'm sure you still can't.

you are stuck now. You have planted your flag that you can produce a finger flick swing. I have the setup here to do a real finger flick swing, just need some sunlight to get the clip. all you have to do now is find a way to show yourself getting to contact as quickly with your standard SNF setup and you win. Try not to remove too many frames.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi