When is the best time of the year to reach out to coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Now that College coaches are focused on their student athletes and trying to get geared up for their seasons, does it make sense to communicate this time of the year? I would think that there will be more unopened emails during the season. Am I wrong or should we still keep on keepin' on?

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
If you email them, be sure to f/u with a phone call...even if it's just a voice mail. They probably won't even see the email but if you call and they are interested, they will look for the email.

Jan 20, 2011
If I may add,

I'm not a fan of emails at all. But if your daughter is going to do that during season, you might consider commenting about how the team did the past weekend. Just like any good conversation, Making it all about you during their season might get a lukewarm response .Letting them know that you are following them as well as hoping that they follow you comes off better. Make sense?

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Capitalize on major travel tournaments. Email them your DD's schedule prior too, especially if you know they will be at the tournament. Then be sure to follow up with a thank you email if they show up and watch.

98.2% of college coaches do not attend TB tournaments while their team is "in season", so I would not expect to see them until June.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If I may add,

I'm not a fan of emails at all. But if your daughter is going to do that during season, you might consider commenting about how the team did the past weekend. Just like any good conversation, Making it all about you during their season might get a lukewarm response .Letting them know that you are following them as well as hoping that they follow you comes off better. Make sense?

I would also recommend commenting on how the coaches team is doing. Following a college team and commenting on their players demonstrates a high level of interest.

Jan 20, 2011
I would also recommend commenting on how the coaches team is doing. Following a college team and commenting on their players demonstrates a high level of interest.

Yes, sorry, that was my intent. Bad word choice on my part.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2013
During your freshman and sophomore years in high school (and before September 1st of your junior year), coaches are allowed to start showing interest in prospective student-athletes. Below is a list of what coaches can do:

A coach can send you sports camps brochures, non-athletic institutional publications, and NCAA information questionnaires. These questionnaires are generally about your education and athletic abilities. By filling these out honestly, a coach will be able to determine if you are NCAA-eligible for softball at his or her school right from the start.
A coach can also accept phone calls that are initiated by you and at your own expense. However, be aware that if you cannot reach a coach, the coach is not allowed to call you back. You can also start writing letters of interest to coaches; just don’t expect any written responses.

Of course, there are restrictions to what a coach cannot do:

Coaches cannot call you. Specifically, they cannot legally initiate a phone call to you.
Coaches cannot send you any written recruitment information.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Now that College coaches are focused on their student athletes and trying to get geared up for their seasons, does it make sense to communicate this time of the year? I would think that there will be more unopened emails during the season. Am I wrong or should we still keep on keepin' on?

Keepin' on...

Right about now, there are many panicked college coaches realizing that the current roster (and suspected recruiting class) has no one to play position X, or that the batting line up is weak or that their pitching is suspect or depth is awful, or they have no idea who is going to replace their outgoing seniors at the end of the season and so on.

If you happen to hit on the right subject line, they are going to have a look.

Jul 10, 2013
A coach can send you sports camps brochures, non-athletic institutional publications, and NCAA information questionnaires. These questionnaires are generally about your education and athletic abilities. By filling these out honestly, a coach will be able to determine if you are NCAA-eligible for softball at his or her school right from the start.

Don't know what your point was, it says you can get a questionnaires

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55