When batting coach becomes a pitching coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2010
My DD's batting coach has done some great things with her swing , as well as helping her with pitch recognition and gaining confidence.

One thing that amazed me though , was how he helped her with her pitching. She is 12 and only 80 lbs. He knows that she doesn't have overpowering stuff at this point but can hit her spots. He started taking an extra 10-15 min at the end of each batting session and helping her recognize batter weakness's. He stands at the plate in different batting stances and helps her realize what kinds of pitches would be good to a paticular batter. Some examples are , hands away from body= throw them screwballs , striding away from plate= outside fastballs. Also watching where the batter stands in the box etc etc.

She now will come in the duggout in between innings and confer with the catcher and coach calling pitches about what they saw that inning. The coaches have even begun letting her shake them off if she recognizes something they cant neccesarily see.

I am sure there are allot of people who teach this. Just wanted to give props to a batting coach for going above and beyond what we ask him to do , as well as teaching her to PITCH and not just throw the ball.

Would also like to add that she DOESN'T throw 60 , and she DOESN'T have 6 pitches. But I couldn't be more proud of her for learning this part of the game.:)

Jul 26, 2010
That's awesome!

I coach a 12u travel and 14u rec teams, and have had my catchers calling the pitches this year, and working on the strategies that you mentioned. They don't always get it right but I think they're learning a whole lot!

-W

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Good for your hitting coach, and congrats to your DD for listening! There are a LOT of pitchers (and coaches that call pitches) out there that never learn to pick up on hitter tendencies/positions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207