What works!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Of course it is not "ideal" but it is reality. Of course I could just tell 26 kids to go home and I'll work with them sometime next week when their 4 man rotation comes around. This is reality and what many of us have to deal with. When I am coaching as an instructor in private lessons, you bet the situation changes. Still, I would prefer to earn my paycheck and have these young ladies practice. In the past and I am hoping this year, we've had some pretty good success doing this. I think some things get lost on this site. Half of this HS team has never been to a private instructor. Half of that number couldn't afford to have a private lesson if they wanted. Of those, most are rec. We will have half of our team be TB and half rec. Most of the rec will be on the JV. So, any hitting instruction is more than they get away from our facility.

BTW, I did preface my other post by saying that it was a different perspective.

Of course the situation changes ... because large group situations are not ideal for developing hitters.

I hear you about JV. For girls JV, putting up notes alongside tee stations, would turn into more of a socialization event. Expecting the kids to extract solid mechanics from such block-based tee stations, which are largely unsupervised, would keep them occupied, but wouldn't be highly developmental.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
So, any hitting instruction is more than they get away from our facility.
I see and understand Cannonball's point...
I don’t see what you describe as an ideal way to develop a hitter.
I also see and understand FFS point....
That is the reason I go to everyone of DD's practices and watch. I watch most, if not all of their hitters going through the hitting stations just going through the 'motions'. There hitting stations for the most part are unsupervised.
I will instruct DD before, during and after too not just go through the 'motions'. DD needs to be 'thinking' of the purpose and the goal of each drill.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I guess you would have to be there. Also, I guess you would have to know my reputation for players who don't bust ... during practice. Believe me, there won't be any socialization. I do see all stations. It is just that I am running between those, the infield or outfield work and doing whatever else. I do stop them and instruct. This isn't as if I'm not present and watching like a hawk. Well, enough of this, we all do what we have to do and I do believe in what I do. If I thought I was cheating these kids, I'd quit.

One poster here who doesn't post much anymore came and watched one of my practices. If that poster wants, chime in on what you saw.

Side note, I can't wait to get going again. It is going to be fun.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
CB, I believe you make the best of the situation ... and do as good a job at it as anyone would.

As you acknowledged ... it's not the ideal environment for developing a hitter. Despite that, you accomplish what you can accomplish.

A parent, wishing to accomplish more, has the means to do so ... either by seeking instruction, or by digging in and learning what needs to be done.

Feb 7, 2013
Sounds like a tee drill that Cabrera would fail to perform well.

10f0qoi.gif

Agree. A useless drill that is used by hitting coaches that have no idea what the swing path is in fastpitch (or baseball for that matter). Had a "hitting coach" demonstrate this drill to a group of players, teaching them to hit down on the ball. The irony was when he actually hit a real softball, his swing path looked nothing like the drill demonstrated.

To the OP, if I had to pick one drill it would be front toss. You can locate the ball inside, outside, high, low and everything in between and the coach can stop and correct the batter on certain swing mechanics they are working on together.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma