What works!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
No Westwind, I will not be “kissing your anal area”.

What I wrote was, IMO, fairly accurate.

Now, if you'd like to discuss the content rationally then I'm up for a discussion.

I think I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place which is not get drawn into some FFS foolishness.

It turns out the pig does enjoy being wrestled with.

I think I need a shower.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place which is not get drawn into some FFS foolishness.

It turns out the pig does enjoy being wrestled with.

I think I need a shower.

Enjoy your shower Westwind.

Afterwards, assuming you can drop the vulgarities, I'd appreciate a calm explanation of what seems to bother you regarding what I wrote. From my perspective, what I wrote is fairly correct and worthy of intelligent conversation.

Nov 29, 2011
FFS, here is the deal. You only tear down what others post and offer nothing of yourself, your what I call a 'Google Coach'

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS, here is the deal. You only tear down what others post and offer nothing of yourself, your what I call a 'Google Coach'

Stever, I'm not buying your fabricated 'deal'.

Review what was written. I haven't deleted anything in this thread. Mainly because I didn't write anything that warranted deletions. Explain to me, how you feel what I wrote, was incorrect and justified a response of a vulgarity.

To make it easy for you, here's the post that set Westwind off.

Personally I consider 'boredom' to be a poor excuse for using a large number of drills.

I don't know these girls that would rather be performing tee-based drills rather than hitting away and playing competitive hitting games.

I also don't find hitters within an hour hitting session turning to me and telling me that they are bored. It's never happened.

Now ... in a large group session ... you simply are going to get less accomplished. Sure, you can try to fool yourself, ... tell yourself that doing a lot of tee-based drills will help their game swings ... but the payback is very little, and you are mostly fooling yourself. The reality is, that large group hitting sessions aren't a great way to build hitters.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Personally I consider 'boredom' to be a poor excuse for using a large number of drills.

I don't know these girls that would rather be performing tee-based drills rather than hitting away and playing competitive hitting games.

I also don't find hitters within an hour hitting session turning to me and telling me that they are bored. It's never happened.

Now ... in a large group session ... you simply are going to get less accomplished. Sure, you can try to fool yourself, ... tell yourself that doing a lot of tee-based drills will help their game swings ... but the payback is very little, and you are mostly fooling yourself. The reality is, that large group hitting sessions aren't a great way to build hitters.

FFS, I'll give a different perspective on this knowing that many don't have this situation. In HS, both outside and when we are forced inside, we have to worry some about boredom. We don't always get to coach the elite player or even ones with above average talent. For many of our HS team, softball is a second sport behind volleyball, basketball, ... Yet, they are athletes and are better than some of the others we draw. The ability to be creative with a few drills can keep practice fun. Naturally, players I coach know which drills I have assigned to them for their individual improvement each practice but also are told to do one or two other drills. Note, not a lot of deviation from those identified but enough so that they work on one or two things to "spice it up." For example, most really like to do the drill Chipper Jones does but with the addition of a ball on a tee at the other end of the cage. Another that the girls really like is tossing a ball up and hitting it. It was so surprising to me that girl's never did this and struggled with this at first. Still, they got a kick out of mastering it. I think I posted here once that I used to set up 14 stations for hitting and then assign players certain drills when I coached baseball. I would estimate that any given player might do 6 in a practice geared for personal development and maybe 2 "for fun." In my situation, we practice/play 6 days a week.

In my school, we have to practice V/JV together. That is a terrible situation but one we deal with. Therefore, large group sessions is the norm. I do a lot of stuff to try to make group sessions beneficial. For example, I show video of the drill being preformed correctly and sometimes use video of my dd doing the drill. I use video of MLB players to show what the end goal is. I have drill guidelines taped up at stations in an attempt to give guidance to each player and I have had a personal conversation about why each player needs specific drills. Still, I can't watch them all. I will have 30+ this spring and myself (Just told I am the JV Coach for sure.) and the Varsity Coach can't be everywhere. I would suggest based upon past success that we do tend to get a lot accomplished and players improve.

Note, I can't speak for all and the overall point FFS made about large groups is accurate UNLESS the coach is organized and has paid attention to detail. If so, it is a thing of beauty. Good luck to everyone. Getting back to the OP, what works for me might not work for you and vice versa. IMO, good coaches know their players and have an idea of what drill work most benefits them. Do what you believe in until you don't believe in it. JMHO!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
CB, I don’t see what you describe as an ideal way to develop a hitter.

30+ kids … with drill guidelines taped up at stations … which I assume are “block training” based tee stations … and not only are these “block training” stations and not “random training” stations, but they aren’t supervised by someone such as yourself.

I don’t see how this would remotely compare to 1-to-4 individuals seeing you for personal instruction with a fair amount of “random training” being performed.

That isn’t a knock on what you are doing … you are making the best out of the situation … but the situation is not ideal for developing hitters.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Of course it is not "ideal" but it is reality. Of course I could just tell 26 kids to go home and I'll work with them sometime next week when their 4 man rotation comes around. This is reality and what many of us have to deal with. When I am coaching as an instructor in private lessons, you bet the situation changes. Still, I would prefer to earn my paycheck and have these young ladies practice. In the past and I am hoping this year, we've had some pretty good success doing this. I think some things get lost on this site. Half of this HS team has never been to a private instructor. Half of that number couldn't afford to have a private lesson if they wanted. Of those, most are rec. We will have half of our team be TB and half rec. Most of the rec will be on the JV. So, any hitting instruction is more than they get away from our facility.

BTW, I did preface my other post by saying that it was a different perspective.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06