What works!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
High and low tee(at the knees), self toss, lots of front toss. For the most part, I'm good with my dd's drill swings, but for the life of me, I can't get her to relax in a game a take a swing like she does when I front toss to her. Needs to see more live pitching in practice, not just front toss. I think????

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
This was another drill I found very helpful. In fact, probably need to get back to it.

Not sure what you mean here. Put a second tee ''in'' a bucket?

Put the second tee ON a bucket..... Sorry fat finger issue. If the swing is not compact then she'll hit the second tee. You can use anything tall - punching bag, tree, pole or someone dumb enough to stand there... Lol.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Isolation drills - helped DD understand the various motions and relationships within a swing.
Contact drill - focused on what happens at contact.
Tee swings with a second tee in a bucket placed 3-4 feet behind hitting tee to reinforce compact swing.

These drills worked in improving swing mechanics but - tee and batting cage reps probably made the best overall performance improvement.
Okay - add in parents having a different approach for "in the box" success with DD. We look for a good swing regardless of outcome.

Sounds like a tee drill that Cabrera would fail to perform well.

10f0qoi.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Oh, live batting practice pitching is also a drill using a 'moving' ball.

True ... but the benefit of performing the 'drill' against a moving ball is huge.

Through tee work you get good at performing "tee swings". Tee work, by it's nature, is "block training" ... and is largely inferior to "random training".

Take the same drill, and perform it with a moving ball, and you turn the exercise into a "random training" drill.

While what is learned through "random training" is more difficult, a much larger percentage will carry over to one's "game swing".

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Not to be Captain Obvious but front toss is a drill.

My dd grew up doing drills. As said before, the best drills are the ones where the ball is in flight. However, I believe my dd had success because she could get a Tee, do these drills she grew up doing and didn't need to try to convince another person/player to go with her to hit. I have no idea how many days in college she spend hitting by herself doing these drills.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Personally I consider 'boredom' to be a poor excuse for using a large number of drills.

I don't know these girls that would rather be performing tee-based drills rather than hitting away and playing competitive hitting games.

I also don't find hitters within an hour hitting session turning to me and telling me that they are bored. It's never happened.

Now ... in a large group session ... you simply are going to get less accomplished. Sure, you can try to fool yourself, ... tell yourself that doing a lot of tee-based drills will help their game swings ... but the payback is very little, and you are mostly fooling yourself. The reality is, that large group hitting sessions aren't a great way to build hitters.

Jan 24, 2009
I'm gonna have to open yet another cold one and stay up for a bit now.

Edit to add that at one point in time, this was post #21 in this thread.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hey FFS, kiss my rear.

We have an absolute blast. I told my kids when we started this that the minute softball wasn't fun, we're not going to do it anymore.

This has been our journey and I'm really sorry you don't approve. I could have paid some blowhard like you to use a cookie cutter approach to training them.

I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I didn't invent tee work or drills but some people I trust went out of their way to help me when I asked. It worked. The only reason I posted it was because I thought it might help someone else.

Back in those days, you weren't as fancy sounding. Your grand plan for 12 year olds was a slow pitch bat and a machine turned up to 70 and all you had to do was whisper "turn the barrel" and boom they would be instant superstars. I must admit your buzzwords have improved up until the other day when you posted "zone low" 22 times. That one needs work.

Mods, are we tired of this guy harassing everyone yet? Why isn't he permanently banned? I am so tired of him screwing up every thread and running so many decent, helpful posters off.

No Westwind, I will not be “kissing your anal area”.

What I wrote was, IMO, fairly accurate.

Now, if you'd like to discuss the content rationally then I'm up for a discussion.

Personally I consider 'boredom' to be a poor excuse for using a large number of drills.

I don't know these girls that would rather be performing tee-based drills rather than hitting away and playing competitive hitting games.

I also don't find hitters within an hour hitting session turning to me and telling me that they are bored. It's never happened.

Now ... in a large group session ... you simply are going to get less accomplished. Sure, you can try to fool yourself, ... tell yourself that doing a lot of tee-based drills will help their game swings ... but the payback is very little, and you are mostly fooling yourself. The reality is, that large group hitting sessions aren't a great way to build hitters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma