What role does the bicep muscle play in pitching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Sluggers, good info-I never thought much about underhand tossing
as a cool down, dd normally throws overhand (soft toss) 15-20 throws
she always stays hydrated. We have tried different routines, but have had
little success as a reliever. As a starter, she struggles with the first 5-6
pitches before getting into a groove. More starts than not she puts the
leadoff on base... not a good thing, but we have a hard time remedying the
problem

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
JV, she isn't alone with struggling in the first inning. The first inning is the best time to get to a pitcher. Until your DD learns the umpire's strike zone, she is at a disadvantage. I preach this stuff about learning how to put the ball in a location rather than trying to "throw strikes" because in the first inning she will have to be moving the ball around quite a bit to figure out what the ump is using for a strike zone.

In the first inning, the batters are reluctant to swing at the first pitch. So, I would encourage her to use that to throw a first pitch strike.

We always say, "stay away from the middle of the plate", but, of course, if a pitcher is going to walk someone, then she has to put the ball in the middle of the plate. Additionally,

Relievers in baseball have a fastball and one other pitch, and that is all they throw. So, have your DD do the same thing when she relieves...throw two pitches. Don't have her warmup her entire arsenal. In relief, she use her fastball and her best breaking pitch.

Last edited: