What role does the bicep muscle play in pitching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
What role does the bicep muscle play in pitching? DD (1st year 16U) has been working on her speed with her pitching coach this fall. She pitched in 3 games yesterday (1 complete game, 2 relief efforts.. spread out over a 12 hour marathon day). By the end of the 3rd game she was saying her bicep was sore and cramping so she stopped pitching for the day. She never had this happen before so I was wondering if in her attempt to throw harder (which she was) she was doing something wrong and bringing in the bicep muscle. Or do we just need to work on strengthening up that muscle.

This morning her arm feels fine and there is no pain. It was a cool day so I didn't see her drinking much water all day, so it is possible she got dehydrated and it was just a cramp.

Any thoughts?

Hi Goobie,

Rojas et al (2009) showed that Biceps activity can be as high (if not higher) during windmill pitching in comparison to overhand throwing. The timing of the biceps activity suggests that it would be used to counteract the distraction forces at the shoulder and elbow as seen in (Werner et al, 2006). These distraction forces are speed dependent hence they do become bigger as pitches become faster. Depending on the technique it could also contribute to the velocity of the pitch.

Have a great day!
Michel

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This study demonstrates that the biceps brachii muscle is most active during the 9-o'clock and follow-through positions of the windmill pitch, in which maximum elbow extension occurs and the highest amount of eccentric contraction is expected, causing the biceps to act as a braking mechanism. The total biceps activity during the windmill pitch is higher than with an overhand throw of similar ball release velocity
From the article, "Biceps Activity During Windmill Softball Pitching" The American Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 37, No. 3 Link to full article

Softball pitcher injuries are often in the biceps, particularly in the long head of the bicep tendon. The long head comes up the arm and then lies across the front of the shoulder. Article regarding tears to bicep tendon

She never had this happen before so I was wondering if in her attempt to throw harder (which she was) she was doing something wrong and bringing in the bicep muscle.

She threw too much. How hard is that to figure out?

Or do we just need to work on strengthening up that muscle.

Obviously, the better shape she is in, the less likely an injury will occur.

You didn't say how old she was. But, since she was pitching in relief, I suspect that she didn't warm up correctly the last two times. My guess is the coach grabbed her and said, "Go pitch" without sufficient time to get her arm loose.

When she will pitch a second time during a day, she has to spend more time *WARMING* up (slow tossing, stretching the arm, light throwing etc.) rather than "pitching at full tilt" before entering the game.

BUT: Overuse is overuse. She isn't a machine. Her muscles tear just like everyone else.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If the irritation / cramping is in the bicep muscle, I woul;d first suspect a hydration issue.

If it ALSO feels sore going up the bicept to the shoulder, I would suspect the bicep ligamate.

Where the ligamate goes through the shoulder, the fit is exact. If the ligamate is enflamed, it slides through with a much tighter fit and that causes pain / irritation and it is almost always thought to be a shoulder injury.

That pain, located more towards the front of the shoulder, is the body's first alert / alalarm that something is not right. At that point, you should stop pitching and let it subside. If you continue pitching beyond that point, you are inviting SERIOUS injury.

I would see a sports physical therapist for diagnosis. They can put her through specific excercises that will isolate muscles and muscle groups and determine exactly what is hurt or irritated.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The only time my bicep muscle hurts, is from overhand throw. Sometimes the girls can get over extended during warm ups, too. Did your DD play another position and does she ice? If I don't ice my bicep, I know that I am in for pain.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Thanks Hal,

If the irritation / cramping is in the bicep muscle, I would first suspect a hydration issue.

I'm leaning towards this as well.

The pain was located in the biceps muscle itself about 3 inches up from the elbow in the meat of the muscle. If she flexed her bicep and pointed at the pain it would be directly at the peak of the flexed bicep. She described the pain as being similar to a leg/calf cramp. No pain in the shoulder area at all. Thank goodness.

If you continue pitching beyond that point, you are inviting SERIOUS injury.

I agree. She didn't pitch anymore this weekend to be safe. Her coach also told her to let him know earlier if she was feeling ANY pain.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Slugs

Thanks for the parts of your response that contained helpful information. I do appreciate that.

She threw too much. How hard is that to figure out?

Probably could have done without this condescending piece of your response.

You didn't say how old she was.

I said she was 1st year 16U. That makes her between 14 and 16. Duh! How hard is that to figure out? <--- doesn't sound so good coming back at you now does it? ;-p To be more clear, she turned 15 in July.

Thanks again.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD was playing 16U at 13YOA. If you ask around, you'll find a lot of kids playing 16U at 13YOA.

You need to have a long talk with her about "warming up" and cooling down. Up to around 15YOA, the kids really don't need too do much. They are incredibly resilient. But, around your DD's age, they have to start taking this much more seriously.

She has to take responsibility for taking care of her body. The coach will *NOT* do it for her. Coaches simply do not care if they run their pitchers into the ground.

Does she know how to play pitch and catch underhanded? Not *pitching*, but simply doing slow tosses back and forth? This is probably the single most important skill to have for a pitcher.

She needs a routine for cooling down after she pitches. She will want to simply stop pitching and leave the field. You have to stop her from doing that. She needs to do some slow underhand pitching after the game, perhaps 50 throws.

She needs a routine for her pre-game pitching. Also, she needs to have different routine for coming in for relief as opposed to pitching.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA