What is your/your daughters most effective pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
I am curious to know what is your(if you are a player) or/and your daughters most effective pitch? At what age bracket? You are be a newbie, 10U, 14u, 16u, 18u, college, retired.

At 14u, my daughter was just learning to throw in fastpitch and had aged out of this group 3 months after starting for this team…so all she had was a fastball and was working on location. Her most effective pitch was the low, inside fb.

Now, her most effective pitch is an off speed drop curve.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
None of my kid's pitches are effective when they are stranded on an island. But when she can get two working then a couple of combos work nicely. Her most consistent pitch is a 2 seam fastball that breaks away, that is the foundation pitch, if that works then things open up for her, if that isn't moving then everything else suffers, so I guess that is her most effective pitch. She plays 14U. On magical days, the two seamer is breaking, the drop has a hump and is coming in at the knees and lower and the Riseball is floating in at the shoulders and she is tough to square up.

Feb 17, 2011
My DD's most effective pitch is the curveball. Unfortunately that is all the coach (DII) wants to call. So the first few innings she will set them down 123 and rack up a few K's and around the 4th or 5th inning they adjust move up on the plate and put the barrel on those on the corner and let the balls go by. And he wonders why.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
14U DD's best pitch is her FB.

She plays around with the strike zone seeing what the Ump will or will not give her.

1 game as long as the ball didn't hit the dirt it was a strike, she couldn't throw it low enough. I felt sorry for the batters, they didn't have a chnace.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Her marquee pitch is her rise, it is the hardest to hit and gets her the K's, the popups, and fly balls. It is also the one that leaves the park on occasion.
Her 2 seam pays the rent, setting up the rise and gets quite a few backwards K's.
The change up is the one that is arguably the most effective, making the first two even better pitches.

It takes all 3 for her to be successful as they play off each other. Especially in the SEC you cannot be a one trick. After you throw on Friday you better have something different on Saturday, and then again on Sunday. Thanks to ESPN there are very few secrets. :)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am always happy getting out of the first inning, thier best hitters are up in the order they want and DD is figuring out what she wants to do.

Jun 12, 2015
Mine is 9 and I think it's the combination that works best. She has 3 reliable pitches, fastball, change up, and drop ball. She can also do an off-speed fastball. I think her ability to hit the location she's going for pretty consistently combined with the variable speeds is what makes her an effective pitcher. But my favorite to watch is the change up. It fools batters hardcore. Usually their swing is finished before the ball crosses the plate. I think it's beautiful.

Dec 27, 2014
DD is 1st year 12u. She is left handed. Her "curve" is her fb that she loves to turn over. Has a down and in action to righties. She is also working on releasing earlier, so her normal fb can tend to miss outside and low periodically. We also like the high fb for batters to chase. This is her first year using a CU. When she trusts it the ball is released early enough to drop out of the zone. Sometimes, she does not trust it and is a 40mph meat ball at the belly button. :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
DD is first year 12U, her change up is easily her best pitch. Just has great feel for it. Gets a ton of swing strikes right over the top and soft contact on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse