What is the true cost of travel ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The cost that concerns me is not the money, but the time invested in a hobby that soon will end and whether that time would've been better spent doing something else. The answer depends on our daughters and their motives for playing. If you are sure your daughter is playing 100 percent for herself and loves it, then you don't have to think about this.

In the case of my daughter, she likes softball. She has softball goals. She wants to play on a better travel team. She had a really good year at the plate in '13 and wants to top that in '14. She wants to make her varsity high school team next year as a freshman. She's had many great memories playing.

But on the other hand, I'm the one got her into softball. She didn't come to me one day saying she wanted to play. She liked it OK at the start, but it was me who really liked it - to the point that I began coaching her teams, and later build a travel team for her and those she played with in the rec league. I've always been more passionate about my hobby of coaching and learning about softball and obsessively reading FPF than she has been about her hobby of playing softball.

My DD has told me that she played the first several years because I had a team. She didn't mean that she didn't like it, or that I made her play, but she did mean that she merely liked softball, didn't love it, and went along for the ride.

So when I think of the cost, I think about what she might've been. What if I'd never encouraged her to play softball? Would she have put this time in to singing, or acting, or other interests that seemed to be purely her own?

Or does the activity really matter? Whether it's softball, or drama, or fishing, my DD has chosen to continue on this path, and it's been full of experiences that she'll remember and use the rest of her life. Whether she chose it for herself or not, softball has built her character and taught her things that have made her what she is, which is a pretty neat kid.

Maybe it's better that she's not likely to play softball past age 18. She's spent hours learning to hit and throw - skills that soon will be pretty useless in the world. But then she can move on to something else.

I remember when Cheryl Miller retired from basketball and someone asked if she'd miss playing and her answer was, ''No, I want to see what else I'm good at.'' Great answer, IMO. Maybe softball will make our girls confident enough to say that when they hang up the spikes.

Jul 2, 2013
The beauty of softball for me is the time a Dad can spend with his daughter, or daughters. In a world clamoring for men to be fathers, especially of their daughters, the men on this board are all hero's. (Pardon Mom's, you count too).

Eventually these young ladies grow up and want to learn other things. Sometimes softball is not the center of their life, like mine, but only a sport she loves to play and be with other peers of her own kind.

As mine is now a Jr., I don't see her near as much anymore. We are not allowed at HS practices. The HS girls are intentionally kept in a bubble and parents only spectators for games.

Oh ... the memories of playing catch with her, pitching balls to her, long, long car rides to different venues. Those days have since passed. Now all I try to do is get her to the dinner table, try to get her talking and tell me all the stupid drama happening in her world.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
I have never regretted spending the money I did on softball for my DD. It is immeasurable the value of the countless hours we spent together working, traveling and watching her play from the time she was 12 till she finished college.

The life experiences she received from softball are invaluable. There are not too many situations she's run into after softball that she's not seen already dealing with teammates, coaches, parents or any number of people over the years of playing ball. The hardest part about high level softball is off of the field. The on the field situations are easy. There are rules to govern them. Learning how to deal with people you're forced interact with for extended periods of time is difficult.

For myself the trek did pay off financially. The DD's scholarship was worth $80K. We ended up taking out less than $20K in student loans for the four years and the DD got her degree on top of it. We spent nowhere near that amount of money of softball over the years.

Even now we work together coaching a team. It's still fun for the both of us and it's great the DD still wants to hang out with dad after all the years. I'm a lucky man in that respect.

Mar 26, 2013
Lots of good posts. I have comments regarding a few of them.

- OP by FP26 made an excellent point about factoring in the costs that would have incurred in the absence of TB and it made me ponder the appropriate term for that. The best I can come up with is Marginal Cost (for quantity from 0 to 1).

- CB brought up an interesting point regarding alternatives they might have achieved instead of softball (i.e. Opportunity Cost). In a similar vein, too much time/emphasis on softball can limit players from discovering what interests them long term and can lead them to choosing a college primarily for softball instead of a particular field of study.

- Several brought up the important personal finance aspects - spending more than they can afford while chasing the hope of a scholarship. Unfortunately, too many people spend money on TB without first securing the means for their kids' college education. TB expenses are not an investment unless they are necessary to fulfill an offer you've accepted and that offer makes those funds available. The sorriest examples are the people that double-down by spending more money because they have already spent a lot (i.e. good money chasing bad).

When our kids become adults, they get to choose whatever they're going to do with the rest of their lives. Our job as parents is to lay the groundwork for them to have the best set of options possible and to help them make informed decision(s).

Jul 26, 2010
Money is printed with cheap ink on cheap cloth. Time is irreplaceable and the only real currency we have. Spend as you see fit.

-W

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
*IF* a parent approaches softball correctly, the child will learn invaluable lessons.

E.g.:

(1) A person with God given talent who doesn't work will never achieve anything.
(2) A person with modest talent who works hard can accomplish a great deal.
(3) Honor.
(4) Loyalty.
(5) Teamwork.
(6) Getting along with different people.

The list goes on and on...all this is worth all the money and time a parent puts into it.

There are some parents who refuse to use softball as a means to teach valuable life lessons. They continually want to prevent the child's failure or to "sugarcoat" why their child failed. (Teaching a kid what to do after failure or disappointment is probably the most important life lesson of them all.)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Is there a monetary value of spending time with your kids? If so, you should subtract if from the other expenses to get a true figure.

And if softball is forced upon the kid and she is made to feel like its a job...add that to the cost.

Lets face it, there are many kids out there that are playing softball because dad wants her to for certain reasons, not because the kid wants to.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Travel ball team fees..............$1500
Hotels/Gas/Meals...................$3000
Pitching lessons.....................$1600
Composite bat........................$300
Spending time with my DD........PRICELESS

Dec 20, 2012
How many families spend as many weekends together as TB families. How many families sit down and eat with their family and best friends as often ad TB families, how many families spend as many hours of just talking on road trips as TB families do, how many families get ads many "vacations" as TB families do? Regardless of the monetary costs of TB my family is closer and stronger because of it!