What do you mean by PUSH?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
So when teaching a kid to turn the barrel at any point are you actually saying to the kid that when the ball is approaching you want them to "pull back" with their top hand to initiate the barrel turn? I do see it in Brooke's swing, Fielders and others. It's not that I don't agree, but those words still scare me a little bit.....

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So when teaching a kid to turn the barrel at any point are you actually saying to the kid that when the ball is approaching you want them to "pull back" with their top hand to initiate the barrel turn? I do see it in Brooke's swing, Fielders and others. It's not that I don't agree, but those words still scare me a little bit.....

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying by "pull back". The pull back that I think most people here discuss is an action that originates someplace other than the hands, although the hands are acted upon by the process. But I get the sense that isn't what you are referring to.

Dec 4, 2013
So the handset and barrel pulling against the coiled rear hip being turning by the rear leg get WHIPPED forward…not pushed forward, not muscled forward, but whipped forward.

I may have gotten tripped up a little bit by this line. I am referring to the point in the swing when the barrel initially begins a rearward movement. I got the impression the hands may also be doing some pulling, not just the back. I guess my question was is there any pulling of the top hand away from the ball during the initiation of the barrel turn? Or is the back doing all of the pulling and the hands just worry about turning the barrel?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
So the handset and barrel pulling against the coiled rear hip being turning by the rear leg get WHIPPED forward…not pushed forward, not muscled forward, but whipped forward.

I may have gotten tripped up a little bit by this line. I am referring to the point in the swing when the barrel initially begins a rearward movement. I got the impression the hands may also be doing some pulling, not just the back. I guess my question was is there any pulling of the top hand away from the ball during the initiation of the barrel turn? Or is the back doing all of the pulling and the hands just worry about turning the barrel?

You could have your hitters try,
Reverse Hand Drill:
BustosStraightleg.gif

This will give your hitters the 'feel' of 'turn the barrel to the ball'.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Reverse Hand Drill:
BustosStraightleg.gif

Seem to recall earlier that the drill was to promote extension.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

I think I was off from work that day:eek:
Today, Reverse Hand drill promoting. Turn the barrel with/and creating resistence 'feel'.
BustosStraightleg.gif

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Reverse Hand Drill:
BustosStraightleg.gif

Looks like Bustos' (what a swing) forearms are rotating the barrel backwards with the hands connected to that movement. I have read that some like to feel the back of the top hand rotating to the ball, but without any forward or rearward movement of the handset, which remains at the shoulder during that phase. I think Bustos forearms look like this; what do you guys think?

TedEverything.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I think I was off from work that day:eek:
Today, Reverse Hand drill promoting. Turn the barrel with/and creating resistence 'feel'.
BustosStraightleg.gif

Yeah, it never made sense to me that a drill was being promoted to create an action that wasn't being created. JBooth tried to explain it at one point. But really, all you had to do was look at the video.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd