What do you mean by PUSH?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Since this is a softball site and since the goal of many of the posters here is to have their daughters play in college, it should be noted that the young lady who's swing is being critiqued here with the assertion that her swing sucks has produced these results:

(From the University of Oregon Softball Website)

AS A SOPHOMORE (2014) (AT NEBRASKA)
First Team All-Midwest Region...First Team All-Big Ten...Academic All-Big Ten...Started all 62 games for the Huskers in her sophomore campaign...Hit a team-high .369 with 51 runs, 80 hits, 21 doubles, 14 homers and 53 RBIs...Also led the team in hits, doubles and RBIs...Her 21 doubles were the fourth most in the NCAA and tied for the second most in Nebraska single-season history...Went 7-for-11 with a double, two homers and seven runs scored in Nebraska's series win at No. 23 Northwestern, including a school record four runs in the second game of the set...Hit .443 in Big Ten play and tied for the league lead with 35 hits in conference action...Ranked second in the Big Ten in overall batting average and runs scored...Continued her strong play in the postseason, hitting .429 (12-of-28) in seven NCAA tournament games...Went 10-for-20 in the Huskers' regional win in Columbia, Mo....Homered in the first inning of each game against host Missouri as the Huskers knocked off the No. 15 ranked Tigers in back-to-back games...Did not make an error in seven postseason games at second base and posted a .964 overall fielding percentage in 2014.

This young lady will play this year at the University of Oregon after transferring from the University of Nebraska. This then should raise some questions. If her swing is as bad as critiqued here then how can she have such a year in the Big 10? Other questions should be posed but I'll leave that alone. I'm betting that most of us, including me, would wish our dd's as much success as this young lady has had in two years of top flight ball.

Here is an article about her and her dad. Her dad must not know what he is doing since his students include Hailey, Buster Posey, Pablo Sandoval ... In short, her dad is the Director of hitting for the San Francisco Giants.

McNary's Hailey Decker learned hitting skills from dad, former MLB player Steve Decker - MaxPreps

HMMM CB. The words I used are "this great hitting young lady" and described the difference and showed the difference in her mechanics. SO "UNPOLITICAL" and "JUST HERE TO HELP OTHERS" of you to put the words in my mouth that I said the "swing sucks".

Thread closed too late RDB

OH YA….I am just sure Buster and Panda didn't know how to swing before her dad became director of minor league hitting in 2012

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2015
Hitting with an attitude. I love that. I have shown my DD different clips of her hitting. Whenever she gets into the box, her body language can usually tell you what type of swing/hit she's about to have. They faced one of the better pitchers in the area this weekend, and she got into the box very timidly as if she knew her chances of making good solid contact were slim. Result...a weak ground ball right back to the pitcher on a swing that looked scared. The next game, she faced a girl that she has had success against in the past. She got in the box like she was on a mission and took an aggressive hack on a pitch up in the zone and scalded it up the middle for a single. The mental toughness it takes to get in the box NO MATTER WHO IS ON THE MOUND and know that you're about to rip the ball is something that has to be developed. Sometimes it comes from success, sometimes it is learned, and a lot of the time, it's all about that little girls attitude in general. There's got to be some swag involved.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Yes you did say that and explained in two threads why her swing is no good. Sorry the thread didn't get locked soon enough that your opinion was the only one here. I'll refrain from commenting on any of your posts. Should make for better threads anyway.
The great hitting young lady
WHAT I SAID ^^^^ then showed why her mechanics…..AS SHE SAID!!!!!!! are not the BEST!!!!!! NEVER did I say they SUCKED! NEVER did I say they were not GOOD!!! In fact I said THE ARE GREAT!!!! just not the best and showed how she could improve. Leave it to you to make it political though.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hitting with an attitude. I love that. I have shown my DD different clips of her hitting. Whenever she gets into the box, her body language can usually tell you what type of swing/hit she's about to have. They faced one of the better pitchers in the area this weekend, and she got into the box very timidly as if she knew her chances of making good solid contact were slim. Result...a weak ground ball right back to the pitcher on a swing that looked scared. The next game, she faced a girl that she has had success against in the past. She got in the box like she was on a mission and took an aggressive hack on a pitch up in the zone and scalded it up the middle for a single. The mental toughness it takes to get in the box NO MATTER WHO IS ON THE MOUND and know that you're about to rip the ball is something that has to be developed. Sometimes it comes from success, sometimes it is learned, and a lot of the time, it's all about that little girls attitude in general. There's got to be some swag involved.

Yup .... attitude can make a difference.

Hailey: "I love pressure. It's exhilarating for me to be at bat and we're down by two with two out, two strikes and bases loaded. That's my zone."

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Buster
Posey_060813_side.gif

and
Pablo
Pablo_2012NLCS_XMO_back.gif

as long as they are brought up to compare.

Oct 10, 2011
I think a new hitting with an attitude thread needs to be started!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So, to the layperson, would it be about right to say that pushing is a failure to let the hips lead the hands, or letting the hands catch up to the hips too soon?

I'd always thought of it as extending the arms too soon. Or even a failure to turn the barrel, and rather throw hands at the ball.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
So, to the layperson, would it be about right to say that pushing is a failure to let the hips lead the hands, or letting the hands catch up to the hips too soon?

I'd always thought of it as extending the arms too soon. Or even a failure to turn the barrel, and rather throw hands at the ball.

Ya…It is anything top half pushing forward instead of resisting.

You do not get the swing starting all at once (no fire the hips then the hands, no one can do it and not bleed the corner) and get the separation this guys are shown doing here without the back pulling back against the lower half.
fielderback_zpse81d8c63.gif

cabrerawrinkles_zps351f0f78.gif

Bustos first flow of energy above her rear hip is not forward
bustosturnthebarrel_zps06511547.gif

Her lower half is bring her forward yet her upper half is pulling back. Forward yet back.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
fielderback_zpse81d8c63.gif

It is rear leg drive, which is not the rear leg pushing. Watch Prince for 15 minutes for your dd. His rear leg is turning his coiled rear hip. His front foot isn't even on the ground when his rear leg is starting to turn the hip forward, so can you legitimately say he is "two legged"? His back is pulling back against the rear leg turning forward. The barrel is being turning back into the arch as the coiling rear hip…being turning by the rear leg…is PULLING the handset forward….the handset that is turning the barrel BEHIND the coiled rear hip pulling. So the handset and barrel pulling against the coiled rear hip being turning by the rear leg get WHIPPED forward…not pushed forward, not muscled forward, but whipped forward.

One college coach knows how to teach it.
cajuns_zps617a01e2.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish