What’s it like playing in a dome?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Field plays fast, infield and outfield. Fielders have to move quickly.
Fast play includes sliding, so have your fielders apply the tag and follow the sliding runner. Many times runners overshoot and slide right over the base and beyond.
Temp fences, high hops, so hard for plate umpire to tell if deep fly ball bounced over the fence or cleared.
Usually a short distance to backstop, which many times is an assortment of Bownets. Many times the ball gets stuck in the loose netting so it's an easy base on a WP.
Common for pitchers to use a pitching mat. Usually doesn't stay in place. Actually works better to turn the mat backwards so the long way goes toward 2nd base; push off the rubber and land on the infield turf.
Regular athletic shoes do about as well as plastic cleats on the turf. Steel cleats usually not allowed.
If you're not familiar with the facility, go to the bathroom before you arrive. May not be very accommodating.

Jan 20, 2023
DD played in 4 different domes during her travel softball years and has been mentioned previously they vary just like outdoor facilities with each having different pros/cons. The domes I am quite familiar with are Adirondack Dome, Danbury Dome, Spooky Nook, and Hudson Valley Sports Dome. The first 3 host tournaments regularly the 4th only hosts camps as far as I know. If you are playing in any of these and have specific questions I would be happy to answer.

Generally speaking the ball is live off the dome if it hits in fair territory and yes it is fairly common.

We’re playing at Future Legends Dome in Colorado.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
We have one in our neighbor town. Balls can be played off the roof netting. Makes for some interesting plays. Outfield is short with HRs above a high line.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
DD played in 4 different domes during her travel softball years and has been mentioned previously they vary just like outdoor facilities with each having different pros/cons. The domes I am quite familiar with are Adirondack Dome, Danbury Dome, Spooky Nook, and Hudson Valley Sports Dome. The first 3 host tournaments regularly the 4th only hosts camps as far as I know. If you are playing in any of these and have specific questions I would be happy to answer.

Generally speaking the ball is live off the dome if it hits in fair territory and yes it is fairly common.

The pic in post 6 above is Danbury. It's "fine" in that it's big enough for 2 pretty full size fields. They aren't the nicest fields as it's a multi-sport set up, and the lighting could be better, and if you're on the 3rd base side of one of the fields you will lose your hearing and have dry throat for approximately 4.5 days from the air pump engine. But, hey, it's winter reps, so we'll take it.

And as an ump there, it's mighty claustrophobic behind the plate.

Nov 5, 2014
The pic in post 6 above is Danbury. It's "fine" in that it's big enough for 2 pretty full size fields. They aren't the nicest fields as it's a multi-sport set up, and the lighting could be better, and if you're on the 3rd base side of one of the fields you will lose your hearing and have dry throat for approximately 4.5 days from the air pump engine. But, hey, it's winter reps, so we'll take it.

And as an ump there, it's mighty claustrophobic behind the plate.
I think your description of "fine" fits most of my dome experiences pretty well. The bottom line is for those of us in cold weather regions we don't have much of a choice for game reps in the winter.

Of the ones I mentioned the Adirondack Dome would probably be my favorite with Spooky Nook my least favorite

Dec 20, 2023
We have played in 2 so far. One was a short outfield, the other had almost no right field ( soccer field rectangle so right fielder was second base basically) balls played off the netting, 2B and HR is marked on netting in outfield. Basically no backstop so stealing home on a passed ball requires a really bad hop back infield usually to be successful. Turf does not slow down the ball at all, play is hella fast on the ground and balls take weird unpredictable bounces all the time. Quite a few more dead ball scenarios than outside. Toilets can be gross. Neither of ours allowed chairs and the warm up space if fields are occupied is basically 10X 20, or pitching bull pens for an entire team so that’s cool. No molded or metal cleats at all, turf shoes or tennis shoes only.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles