Weighted Balls as Part of Warm-Up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 9, 2023
I’m interested in helping our players take a few cuts pre-game with weighted softballs off of a tee. (This is in addition to rotating through other hitting stations with wiffles, as well). What is the preferred or recommended bat they should use when they are hitting a weighted ball off a tee. I know their compression bats are not an option. I’m considering purchasing a tool (CamWood, etc.?) for the team to use when they get to that hitting station. Thanks!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I sometimes used TCB baseball-sized heavy balls for warmup, but always tossed them. A team DD picked up with one time used the softball-sized ones, and we both HATED them. IMO, they're a wrist injury waiting to happen. I'd never use them on a T or otherwise. Use regular softballs, a T, and a net. If you use baseball-size TCBs, no more than ~ half-dozen swings.

Nov 18, 2015
define weighted? As in hard outer shell? Or plyo balls like TCB? (Total Control Balls - i.e. sand/polymer filled with a soft outer shell)

Mar 9, 2023
I’m interested in helping our players take a few cuts pre-game with weighted softballs off of a tee. (This is in addition to rotating through other hitting stations with wiffles, as well). What is the preferred or recommended bat they should use when they are hitting a weighted ball off a tee. I know their compression bats are not an option. I’m considering purchasing a tool (CamWood, etc.?) for the team to use when they get to that hitting station. Thanks!

The weighted balls I’m referring to are: BowNet Ballast Weighted Training Ball with Raised Seams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 9, 2023
define weighted? As in hard outer shell? Or plyo balls like TCB? (Total Control Balls - i.e. sand/polymer filled with a soft outer shell)

The weighted balls I’m referring to are: BowNet Ballast Weighted Training Ball with Raised Seams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015
i would not have them taking swings with bats other than their game bats during pregame warm up. Also, would waste time with weight balls off of a tee.

a few cuts with thrown TCB balls.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
At younger age groups 12U or younger the hitters will actually slow their bat down and unconsciously squeeze the grip in preparing for contact. I don't like them.

Jun 18, 2023
At younger age groups 12U or younger the hitters will actually slow their bat down and unconsciously squeeze the grip in preparing for contact. I don't like them.

they'll do that anyway, weighted balls is kinda what that's trying to train out of them no?

I particularly like that I can just pop outside into my own backyard and make her get a few swings in on a warm-ish February afternoon.

Aug 20, 2017
Weighted balls reinforce a push swing. I quit using them a few years ago. Quick warm up is probably ok though.

Jan 22, 2011
When they were younger, I would only use the TCB's for warmups when we had limited warmup space. When my daughter was on a 12u team that could hit, I switched to the Bownet 12" heavy balls for my own safety. For the older girls I would throw them 3 or 4 heavies during pre-games, but mostly use the TCB baseball size and Bownet 12" rubber whiffles.

There are drills I only did a couple of times a season, like having them hit the heavies, using the "behind the hands" bat, or hitting the muhl balls off the tee. I consider these drills good to get a "feel" of correct mechanics, but when overused, it can teach bad habits.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad