Weekend Dilemma/Bad Situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The wife and I will be going to support the kid and her 12U team this weekend in a local tournament. I looked at the teams involved and so, know that there will be one team there with a Mom/Dad that are gaining a terrible reputation. Mostly, it is the Mom. They constantly scream and yell at their dd. Last year, since I know the coaching staff, I went over and told them that they have to say something to this Mom about how she yells at her dd. She says things that are absolutely unbelievable. I was basically told to mind my own business. I just don't know if I can do that if they haven't changed and apparently, from what I hear, they haven't changed.

In talking to BB last night and telling her my dilemma, she mentioned that she can't ever remember my wife or I yelling at her for softball. That is because we never did. I've mentioned before, and some here didn't like my comments, that we had certain rules for BB and she was expected to abide by them. They included things like she would never talk negatively about teammates. She was not to cry in public when she lost. She was to thank her coaches for coaching her after every game. Some might think this strict. However, not one parent of any player she ever played with can say that they saw my wife or I say anything but positive comments to her with regards to softball. Of course it helped that she was self motivated and always wanted to practice.

I hope that these parents see the light. I just can't take looking at that young girl and see how emotionally they are destroying her. If someone doesn't say anything, imo, despite having a lot of talent, this young lady will not make it to HS softball.

Oct 22, 2009
I feel for this kid, and have seen this before, and I'll never understand it.

I remember once I was at a game and was watching a very poorly played 14u league game. At one point the centerfielder misplayed a ball. After the game was over I saw that player in the parking lot with her dad and he was just berating her up an down. It was just horrible. She was walking in front of him to the car and the whole walk he just chewed on her for that one misplay. I couldn't help but think, Why was she playing? How could this game give her any enjoyment knowing what was waiting for her when it was over. And he certainly wasn't giving her any praise for the things she had done well.

Will they see the light?
Probably not, but I hope so for the girls sake.

Jun 7, 2013
Prediction: These parents will NOT see the light. These parents are already too far gone and don't see or don't care the effect that they are having on their DD. And, in their mind, they are right and are doing nothing wrong. So, if you try to intrude you become the bad guy. I feel sorry for that girl.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
After watching the WCWS and seeing some of the top players in the country make errors on routine plays, I think a lot of parents, myself included, need to "lighten up".....

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Prediction: These parents will NOT see the light. These parents are already too far gone and don't see or don't care the effect that they are having on their DD. And, in their mind, they are right and are doing nothing wrong. So, if you try to intrude you become the bad guy. I feel sorry for that girl.

Last year, when I approached the coaching staff, they told me the girl was "lazy" and that the parents were just trying to motivate her. I can't imagine being that girl. Now, not only is she being yelled at, her coaching staff has labeled her as "lazy." Heck, I lost sleep over this last night. I don't want to cause a scene but I just am not the type that can let it go.

Jun 7, 2013
Actually, my father was like this with me. He was so critical and blaming. I remember after one Little League All Stars game where I broke up a no-hitter getting the only hit for my team off an amazing pitcher. After the game I walked back to the car pleased as punch with myself. In the car my father choose to berate me for throwing to the wrong base on one play. There was no error. No additional advancement. But it was important enough to him to ruin my moment and destroy my pride. I said to him, "I broke up a no-hitter!" He said, "It was just a cheap hit!". And so that was how it was with my father.

Jun 11, 2013
Not only won't they see the light, they actually think the way they act is helping their daughter. It's sad, but not much you can do about it.

Oct 10, 2011
After watching the WCWS and seeing some of the top players in the country make errors on routine plays, I think a lot of parents, myself included, need to "lighten up".....
I'm going to work on not crying after losses in public:p

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was basically told to mind my own business.

Good advice in my opinion.

I hope that these parents see the light. I just can't take looking at that young girl and see how emotionally they are destroying her. If someone doesn't say anything, imo, despite having a lot of talent, this young lady will not make it to HS softball.

I do too, I just do not think you can be that vehicle of change and might cause more problems. If she was on your Team on the other hand …

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles