Verified IR PC Registry

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
My DD is going to an IR coach in Reno. PM me if you need the contact number. We've only been going 6 weeks. He is going to help a lot. He even used medical terms board member uses when describing how the rotates. He doesn't call himself an IR instructor but he is. His follow through is across the body while staying open.

Oct 27, 2015
Vancouver, BC - Kaila Holtz

I feel very lucky to have her. Uses different words but the mechanics are the same.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I know nothing of what Tincher teaches because he plays his instruction close to the vest. No demo clips on his site, nothing on youtube, seems like he feels he has a trade secret. That and the franchising aspect of what he is doing is a real turnoff. I am all for a good PC making a good buck and I have paid a pretty hefty hourly fee to see a top notch instructor and I don't think there is any substitute for one, but the idea that a coach can bring in a group of PCs, give them a few days of training and send them off as certified is kind of a red flag for me.

A lot of pitching instructors have egos that allow them to believe they are doing things better than everyone else...even if all they are doing is using different terminology.

Dec 16, 2010
Tincher instructors don't use the term I/R but it's exactly what they teach.

This is mostly my experience--I have 2 dds that work with Denny (or attend a clinic) a few times a year.

This fall however, I encountered a certified Tincher instructor who insisted on palm down at 9 o'clock. Needless to say, we ran from this instructor.

My experience with all other Tincher instructors at clinics has been mostly good.

IMO, the I/R cues from Tincher are not nearly as effective as those from Boardmember (and now javasource). Tincher says you should finish like a princess (palm down) but doesn't provide the almost-idiot-proof I/R instruction you can get on this board.

That said, if you can get 1-on-1 time with Denny, you've got a good chance of your dd walking out of the lesson a significantly better pitcher. He's easily the best I've seen at looking at a pitcher and providing a tweak or insight that works immediately.

My dds have never had a chance to work with Hillhouse/Pauly/javasource/boardmember/Balswick or any of the other fine instructors commonly discussed on this board. That will change if I'm ever within a 4 hr (1-way) drive from any of them.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
"My dds have never had a chance to work with Hillhouse/Pauly/javasource/boardmember/Balswick or any of the other fine instructors commonly discussed on this board. That will change if I'm ever within a 4 hr (1-way) drive from any of them."

We drove two hours today to see Hillhouse. Absolutely worth the effort and $ for DD and myself. Looking forward to the next one! If he comes to your area and you don't have a quality PC, it's worth it IMO.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Maybe a Non - I/R Registry would get more traction here? Surely, we can't post specific instructors to avoid here but it would definitely save a lot of time in the search process.

Jul 17, 2012
I learned something recently that has brought new light to my "Analysis" of a pitching coach. A PC can talk about leading with the elbow, can talk about stabilizing the upper arm, and rotating the lower arm through release. They can talk about whipping the ball, they can talk about keeping the arm tight to the body.... all common lingo for the terms we've all come to know here as Internal Rotation, Brush Interference, and Whip. THEN, they go about their way of teaching.... and it all sounds great, because they talked about all the stuff you wanted to hear, and for the most part they are trying to get your DD to the end product, but unfortunately, they don't fully understand all the little intricacies of the motion, and will unknowingly destroy the end product by either ignoring an upstream problem, or worse yet, actually teaching that little minute detail that’s causing the problem downstream…and THEN they harp on them, and harp on them and harp on them and can’t figure out why the hell the kid can’t just do as they ask. Well, in some cases, the kids are listening quite well, and doing what they are instructed…but unfortunately, what they are being taught in one phase of the motion is causing the problem downstream that they are trying to fix. I would refer to this as trying to fix the effect, and ignoring or promoting the actual cause of the problem.

So be careful...at 30,000 feet, it may all look to be right....but when you get down into the weeds.... it's not all good.

So yeah, I had a pretty eye opening experience recently.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I learned something recently that has brought new light to my "Analysis" of a pitching coach. A PC can talk about leading with the elbow, can talk about stabilizing the upper arm, and rotating the lower arm through release. They can talk about whipping the ball, they can talk about keeping the arm tight to the body.... all common lingo for the terms we've all come to know here as Internal Rotation, Brush Interference, and Whip. THEN, they go about their way of teaching.... and it all sounds great, because they talked about all the stuff you wanted to hear, and for the most part they are trying to get your DD to the end product, but unfortunately, they don't fully understand all the little intricacies of the motion, and will unknowingly destroy the end product by either ignoring an upstream problem, or worse yet, actually teaching that little minute detail that’s causing the problem downstream…and THEN they harp on them, and harp on them and harp on them and can’t figure out why the hell the kid can’t just do as they ask. Well, in some cases, the kids are listening quite well, and doing what they are instructed…but unfortunately, what they are being taught in one phase of the motion is causing the problem downstream that they are trying to fix. I would refer to this as trying to fix the effect, and ignoring or promoting the actual cause of the problem.

So be careful...at 30,000 feet, it may all look to be right....but when you get down into the weeds.... it's not all good.

So yeah, I had a pretty eye opening experience recently.

Wow! Really well said and so very true!!

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA