Verbal Commit last year, now other schools are expressing interest. What to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
And there are half-truths.... sure he only bought in 5 freshman, but he forgot to mention the 3 junior college transfers, the girl on the track field scholarship and the 2 girls who are technically walking on because they have 100% academic money.

These are some great points! Things are not always as they appear....to quote Shrek, college softball recruiting is "like an onion, it has layers", make sure you peel back all the layers before you make a decision!
shrek1.jpg

Oct 17, 2014
This sounds like a democratic debate on people who own guns......just because there are a few college coaches out of thousands who would cut loose a verballed kid for one reason or another, doesn't mean they are all looking to do that. Any coach worth a grain of salt would keep their word and honor a verbal commitment no matter the situation.

May 23, 2010
I like the Shrek quote...you need to investigate her options before making any decisions.

I think I know which school she verballed to, and if that is correct, then figuring out the cross-town rivals is pretty easy. If finances are a concern, then delve into the athletic and academic dollars. Some of these schools are easier to get academic dollars from than others. One I am thinking of does have some full tuition academic scholarships, but very few and those are very tough to get. Another just eliminated their full tuition scholarship for NMF. Yet another does not give any merit money, but if my kid was DI material with a very high SAT score, that is the route she would take.

I know a kid at the school I believe your kid verballed to, and she has not had much playing time (I do not know all of the details). I know another kid who was supposed to play for a rival team, promised lots of playing time, but she is now playing club (I don't know all of the details in this case either). However, the point I want to make is that she should go to a school for the academics - softball might not work out the way she envisions.

If she has a very high SAT score and a great GPA with rigorous courses, consider the academic side of things. Maybe go for a DI with really great academics (Ivy or equal) or consider DIII schools with great academics. Could be a standout player on a DIII team, but have enough time to devote to academics, not be limited in choice of major, etc.

You and your DD need to consider these options. I don't know what she wants to study, her HS course rigor, or her SAT scores (nor do I need to know). I don't know what will work with your finances (I don't need to know that either). You might try posting on College Confidential under College Admissions, Athletic Recruits to get more ideas. College Confidential also has info on automatic and competitive scholarships based on academic stats (SAT/ACT score, GPA), so you might look at that too. University of Alabama Huntsville has nice merit for SAT >= 1490, ACT >= 34 (tuition plus housing), or full tuiton for SAT >= 1330, ACT >= 30. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Aug 26, 2015
Since verballed doesn't mean NLI, why not take the time to apply from the academic side and see just how much scholarship money you can get from the schools you're interested in? If you get 50% or 70% academic from a better academic school she'd want to be at (and they have her major for her career path), wouldn't that be better than the softball verbal? I mean, even if she doesn't get a SB scholarship at that school, everything I've been hearing here says academic money is much better than athletic money. She put in the hard work where it matters most.....the grades. Seems like that could be the catalyst for where she goes instead of SB. That being said, since she already has a scholarship AND has improved, she can CLEARLY play SB as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi