Verbal Commit last year, now other schools are expressing interest. What to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I take a more optimistic view. I expect that coaches might look for, say, one catcher in the class of 2017. Coach might identify 3-4 catchers that fit that bill and make 3-4 offers, or might offer their top choice, failing that go to #2, etc. Once one catcher accepts the offer, I expect the coach to stick with that catcher. If the catcher doesn't develop, then they might renegotiate, but I don't expect the coach to continue recruiting catchers and dump one for the other and continue to attempt an upgrade until signing day. I don't think a coach can survive operating like that. I just believe that success depends on integrity and relationships. Can't do it that way, IMO.

Sure you can... Most try to bring in multiples of players each season in whatever fashion they can. I have see fall season college teams with 30+ players of which 15 were freshman.

You have to remember the drop out rate as for each year. You can't HOPE that C you recruit is good enough because she might not like the workload in college, realizes her parents can no longer force her to play, realizes that she isn't gong to see the field this year, hate classes, hate the school, hate her teammates, etc, etc.. Many players quit before their first game. Many quit after a season or during a season. Some quit as juniors/seniors for a variety of reasons. Rosters are in general freshman/sophomore heavy.

Jun 1, 2013
I think you and I are seeing things in the correct light Marriard. As for making the OP de-commit before they talk (and they will offer less money) you could be absolutely correct. I know it sounds really but that stuff happens. Just like some colleges pull some $ from seniors knowing the senior will stay on until they graduate because of how far along they are. I know a closing pitcher this happened to. She still plays and pitches for them but they cut scholarship $$ going into last season. Some may think this is performance based but I submit it is a schrewd business decision. You get to keep one of your pitchers for half the cost and they may not like it but the likely hood of leaving their senior year is exceptionally low.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not sure I would decommit just to find out what the other school will offer. If your DD is a high academic achiever she will have lots of options for academic money from whatever school she chooses. I would also recommend the advice others have given, and go with the best academic fit vs. softball.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I think what we'll end up doing is going to her travel ball coach and asking him to contact the new school(s) on her behalf. Find out if they have a scholarship open and whether they're truly interested if she were to decommit. Based on what I've heard them say at the last two showcases, I'd think they are interested. She has said she will not decommit unless there is an offer on the table from one of the two other schools she likes (both of which are far superior academically but not athletically).

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Sure you can... Most try to bring in multiples of players each season in whatever fashion they can. I have see fall season college teams with 30+ players of which 15 were freshman.

You have to remember the drop out rate as for each year. You can't HOPE that C you recruit is good enough because she might not like the workload in college, realizes her parents can no longer force her to play, realizes that she isn't gong to see the field this year, hate classes, hate the school, hate her teammates, etc, etc.. Many players quit before their first game. Many quit after a season or during a season. Some quit as juniors/seniors for a variety of reasons. Rosters are in general freshman/sophomore heavy.

I understand all that. I realize there are teams with 30+ players, signing classes of 10+ players, and coaches who look to sign multiple players at certain positions. I know that scholarship money might get cut to non-producers. None of that is unethical, if you're up front about it. If you plan a 10-player class, that's fine - unless you told recruits you were bringing in a 5-player class. Signing 2-3 catchers is fine, unless you said you were bringing in only 1 for that year. It seems that some here are saying that college coaches care only about winning, they don't care about you, they will lie to you, intentionally deceive you, do anything they must do to win, and since they are that way, you as a player need to be that way too. So it's fine to commit and secretly entertain other offers, attend camps, etc. I don't think it is. Kids are going to change their minds and might de-commit. I still think coaches will understand that. Don't think they'll understand deception.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I It seems that some here are saying that college coaches care only about winning, they don't care about you, they will lie to you, intentionally deceive you, do anything they must do to win, and since they are that way, you as a player need to be that way too. So it's fine to commit and secretly entertain other offers, attend camps, etc. I don't think it is. Kids are going to change their minds and might de-commit. I still think coaches will understand that. Don't think they'll understand deception.

The thing is, for the most part, unless you do your research and you are 100% certain the coach you committed to is like this AND is going to be there when you are going to enter your freshman year, you cannot be certain that you are set. It is why you have to do all the ground work and research (and most don't) you don't know - our experience with many, many girls over time is that the majority of coaches are this way, so unless we find out otherwise we assume they are like that. People forget - you can't just go to another team once you are at college - you are constrained with what you can do - so you better do everything you can to make sure you are certain it is the right situation.

And there are half-truths.... sure he only bought in 5 freshman, but he forgot to mention the 3 junior college transfers, the girl on the track field scholarship and the 2 girls who are technically walking on because they have 100% academic money.

I am not saying you HAVE to keep looking if you are happy and really sure you are getting what you want - I am saying you minimally better keep the light burning just in case.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If the ideal academic/softball/financial college fit can't be found, where do you compromise???

IMO, the most difficult challenge to face is financial; however, strong students, be they athletes or not, should not exclude ANY school from potential consideration on that basis, as many of the top academic schools have the means to meet demonstrated financial need (google EFC and FAFSA).

IME, most TB coaches are not nearly as well versed about college options as an experienced guidance counselor.

Dec 11, 2010
I'm not sure I can add anything to what has already been said but your daughter is in a much, much better position than many with her grades and test score.

She has the option of academic money, not just sports money. That's huge IMHO. Plus, she has already proven she will very likely be able to handle the academic workload.

One thIng I would want to know is if that high test score does you any good if she transfers. In our case, dd would lose out on big academic money for transferring to a bigger school that was a better academic match. The academic money would then be based on her grades at previous school and the test score was worthless.

I would really look at this hard from an academic point of view first but that's just me. Hopefully she gets a boatload of academic money, a great education and a good match with the softball program so she can continue her sb career. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi