Velocity practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2010
Out in left,

I've seen Cat use a striped ball in the bull pen, I guess she doesn't count. There is a very good reason for doing this whether you think there is or not. Please don't discount what you don't understand or believe in. It is one thing to see spin on a ball, its another to see just how tight it really is. This is an aid to teach and more importantly fine tune a kraft.

Oct 22, 2009
I trained my own DD with a taped ball, I made it a religion with her. Sure she threw without it sometimes and knew what the spin should look like, but when she was working on spins or warming up, she always used the taped ball. It just made it easier to get more of a visual of what she wanted the stripe to do.
When she was in college she sent me a newspaper article that the local newspaper wrote on her, the article included a picture of her warming up before her game. I laughed when I saw in the picture she was still using that taped ball.

Feb 7, 2013
I'll just use the tape to fix wires. Now a habit from when you are 10 is a habit, and nothing more useful than comfort. We got lots of those comfort habits, like static stretching. I bet Cat can see the spin without the tape. Geez, I can see it from the stands.

You ever see pro golfers put a straight black line on their golf ball to help with seeing a true roll when putting? It gives them immediate feedback when practicing. Putting a black stripe on a softball achieves a similar result. Seems like a good practice aide to me.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I bet Cat can see the spin without the tape.

Assuming by saying that Cat can see the spin you mean she doesn't use taped or lined balls. If that assumption is wrong, then the rest of this post below is useless. Even is the assumption is right, you may find the rest of this post useless anyway! :)

I can't take your bet yet, but I really think you may be wrong. I will ask her next time we see her.

I will take the bet that Cat's pitching coach uses taped balls when working on spins. I can tell you that first hand.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1