Using the mitt to catch the ball maybe?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
Western WA
Any suggestions on how to teach these 8U girls how to use the mitt? They hold it straight out in front of themselves with their arm straight behind them like they are fencing not catching a ball... Most of these girls have never played and neither have I so simple terms would be great! I was told to start out not using a mitt at all which I've done and they catch it but when they put the mitt on they go back to fencing! it's hilarious but they are frustrated they aren't catching the ball. :rolleyes:

Oh and our first game is Saturday! LOL :p

Any help is appreciated!

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Try using liteflite balls, then graduate up to squishy balls. They have to get comfortable with knowing they can catch it. Start with teaching underhand catching and later move to overhand.

Feb 18, 2014
Working with my 7yr old DD3, I use the phase make the butterfly. She had her fingers up, thumbs together, and it places her hands relaxed in front of body below her eyes. She sometimes struggles with the timing of trapping the ball, but using a softer ball reinforces the need to catch with her glove not her hand without stinging too much.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Any suggestions on how to teach these 8U girls how to use the mitt? They hold it straight out in front of themselves with their arm straight behind them like they are fencing not catching a ball... Most of these girls have never played and neither have I so simple terms would be great! I was told to start out not using a mitt at all which I've done and they catch it but when they put the mitt on they go back to fencing! it's hilarious but they are frustrated they aren't catching the ball. :rolleyes:

Oh and our first game is Saturday! LOL :p

Any help is appreciated!

One tip...it's likely the parents who are frustrated with their daughter NOT catching the ball...

Have a chat with them :) Topic: Realistic Expectations

As for the girls...applaud them if they get a glove on the ball...keep it fun...what you describe is not getting fixed overnight...

CP

Oct 22, 2009
I like the squishy balls and no gloves until they get the eye/hand coordination and confidence that they can catch the ball before it hits them.
When using the glove, kudo's to just touching the ball, until every throw is touched.
Remind them to keep the glove out in front, they like to rest the glove up right next to their face to catch.
Teach them to "SEE" the ball go into the mitt.

Mar 4, 2015
Western WA
Picked up some squishy foam balls. I'm going to try the no glove approach for a while.... I'm sure you are right. It's probably the parents and not the girls. All the girls want to do is bat! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1