USGF AP,DP,Flex question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2014
Can someone please explain the best way or how to utilize the Flex, AP, and DP? I have read the rulebook and it's the most confusing mess I've ever read. We are new to 10U so trying to be as knowledgeable as possible before the first tournament. Thanks in advance.

Jun 22, 2008
That is an interesting rule book. It appears from reading through it they are essentially allowing you to use the equivalent of 2 DP positions and a single flex. You are allowed 1 AP (additional player) as a 10th batter who can also play defense. Then you are also allowed to use the DP/flex as in normal play. The DP can play defense for anyone other than the flex without being a substitute, so now you have both the AP and the DP who can be used on defense without actually substituting any players in or out of the game. The flex would remain a defensive only player who must play defense and can only bat for the DP.

Aug 19, 2014
Another question. Say we have 12 players, we can essentially get them all in the game without even subbing? Am I understanding this correctly?

Jun 22, 2008
Not sure how you are getting the 12th in the game. With the AP you can bat 10, and the flex would make 11 players in the lineup. There is no spot for the 12th.

Jun 22, 2008
The DP is one of the 9 batters on a regular lineup, the flex is in the 10th spot but does not bat. The DP is basically on offensive position while the flex is strictly a defensive position. While the DP is an offensive player, they can play defense for anyone other than the flex and it does not count as a substitution, no one has left the game. But, if the DP plays defense for the flex, it does count as a substitution for the flex because the flex has left the game. The flex can bat, but only in the position held by the DP, and if that happens, then the DP has left the game and it counts as a substitution.

Aug 19, 2014
Thanks, that explains it to even where I can understand it...what ever happened to the days of just subbing in and out...lol

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thanks, that explains it to even where I can understand it...what ever happened to the days of just subbing in and out...lol

Well you can still sub in and out of course, but DP/Flex offers up some great possibilities.

1) You can REST any player on defense without burning a sub
2) You can field a great fielder who can't hit ALL day long without her subbing or having to bat
3) you can play a great hitter who isn't a good fielder without having to find her a position in the field.
4) You can still sub the Flex for DP (which we do often because our normal flex players are fast). Yes this is a sub, so once you do it twice you have burned your DP

Most coaches don't use this rule (or their subs) anywhere near enough.

On pool games if we have 11 or more we generally have one sub and bat everyone else (different sub every game, sub plays many roles in the game - Courtesy Runner, pinch hitter/runner, defensive sub, etc)
Once we get to the serious games we bat 9 with a DP/Flex at 10 plus however many subs we have left over. Note - if we only have 10 players, we bat straight 9 with a sub and don't flex anyone.

We always have a sub. Too many things can happen where a sub makes more sense than a DP/Flex. Also remember once you have chosen a flex it is EXTREMELY unlikely you will bat them during that game - as the DP is going to be the better bat and the flex can ONLY bat in the DP's spot. One exception - our Flex tend to be be better bunters so if I ABSOLUTELY need a bunt to be laid down I may but my Flex. I think this has happened 4 or 5 times in 2 or 3 years.

Here is a decent video explaining it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78B1OCXKpog

Here is a summary of our line ups from last weekend where we had 11 players

Pool Game One: batted 10, 1 sub. The sub Courtesy ran 3 times, pinch hit in top of last
Pool Game Two: batted 10, 1 different sub, Sub Courtesy ran twice, used as a pinch runner in 3th inning, was going to bat but didn't get to her spot due to run rule in 4th
Pool Game Three: batted 9, DP was our P, flexed our CF, 1 sub (we wanted a win to get an easy seeding draw in the elimination games). Sub Courtesy ran twice, pinch hit in the 3rd, was subbed out in 5th.

Elim Game One: batted 10, 1 different sub (1st elim game was an easy one due to win in Pool Game 3) - We got up early. Sub entered in 2nd inning for our game 2 starting pitcher so she was rested. Game was run rules in 4 innings
Elim Game Two: batted 9, DP was our P, flexed our CF, 1 sub (Sub courtesy ran twice. Entered as a defensive sub in the 4th)
Elim Game Three: batted 9, DP was our normal 3B (P from previous game played 3B), flexed our CF, 1 sub (sub entered
Elim Game Four: batted 9, DP was our P, flexed our CF, 1 sub (P from previous game resting for final, Courtesy ran once)
Elim Game Five: batted 9, DP was our normal 1B (RF from previous game played 1B), flexed our CF, 1 sub (sub courtesy ran twice, entered as a pinch runner in bottom of 3 and stayed in defensively in 4th, subbed back out in 5th for the better bat, re-entered defensively in the 6th)

We also rested various players in various innings in games with a flex set, but I didn't mark it down as they are not subs so unless it involves P/C there in no need to report.

Note: there are some small changes across USSSA/ASA/PGF/HS but are minor. If you play NSA it is called 'Twinning' rather than DP flex and has even more flexibility (you can switch the two players back and forwards as much as you want).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1