Do coaches use DP/Flex on positions other than pitcher and catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
I am curious, do coaches use DP/Flex on positions other than pitcher and catcher? I often see it used for pitcher, esp. when the coach doesn't want a pitcher to worry about batting. But on someone who is a MIF? Esp. when there are several other MIFs who can hit and field. Just curious how coaches use DP/Flex as a strategy.

Jun 8, 2016
DD is a MI and I’ve told her coach to flex her a few times..most of the time when I tell him that he should have listened..

Sep 7, 2020
We utilize it a lot on Sundays. Our center fielder has been in her head and struggling at the plate but is a hound dog in the field. She was flexed in three games two weekends ago and was very understanding about it. She woke up this weekend and went 7/11 on Friday and Saturday and found her way back in the lineup for Sunday. We are a team of 12 at 14U and found ourselves down 2 due to illness - 1 migraines and one with covid which let us bat the EH who sat the bench.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Jan 22, 2011
We have a pitcher who is a liability defensive wise. I challenged her at the end of season to improve her defense over the summer. Found her a coach I've known for over 12 years to work on her playing 3B.

She has one of the top 4 bats on the team. This year she mostly pitched and DP'd when not pitching. Played a little 3B (made a couple errors) and 1B two games my DD had to catch.

May 27, 2013
That's an odd position to flex. Most of the time the corners are always considered a power position. I assume she was a whiz defensively?

So 3B was actually shared by 2 players. We lost our starting SS right at the beginning of the season and I believe the frosh who filled the SS role was recruited for 3B. I think with the incoming class they will have another SS so the other girl can move back to 3B. She is more of a power hitter, so your prototypical 3B.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Our coach used it for some of our OF positions last season. We have a good power hitter but she made a lot of mistakes in the OF. So she'd DP a lot. Sometimes use it for our 1B as one of our players wasn't a great hitter. Never really used it for P even though we do have a pitcher who was not a great hitter and I always wondered why she wasn't just flex but our coach always had her hit. Used it a lot for catcher but it kind of sucked because our C can really hit but didn't get a lot of ABs so she wasn't getting a lot of experience. So when she did bat, she wouldn't produce as much as he wanted.

Edited to add: This is for HS. For TB, we rarely do it as we will bat our roster for pool games and showcases. I have seen other teams use it however (when I get their lineups to score). Sometimes it's for the P but not always. A lot of the time your P/C are your better hitters.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018
All of the time. My DD is a great power hitter with a high average, and a average 1st baseman (we have other 1st who are better defensively) our RF is a great defender but a well below average hitter. Now our weakest hitter has our number 4 hitter, hitting for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad