Do coaches use DP/Flex on positions other than pitcher and catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
I use at at any position and love it. Only one HS season did I use it primarily for one position and that was my catcher. She was my best option for a backstop and the weakest hitter on the team.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It all depends on the makeup of your team. Our #1 P is also one of our biggest bats. If she's not pitching, she will still be hitting. She can play 3B, but if more likely to be DP with P or LF as Flex. Our #1 and #2 catchers are also top hitters. Like our #1 P, they will always bat. #1 C also plays 3B, but sill sometimes DP. #2 C also plays SS and OF. Most of our players are pretty versatile, and we can move pieces around as we need. We only have a couple that aren't effective in alternate defensive positions.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I did have a catcher who just finished up her senior year who I would Flex a lot, but when she wasn't around (long story, not relevant), I would mix up the DP/Flex. The catcher who took over for her is also one of our best hitters, so I never Flex her.

Technically, I would very rarely list either of my pitchers as the DP or Flex. The reason for that: Both hit, and both are adequate base runners. My 1B's home to first time is measured with a calendar. So I would frequently list her as the DP and one of my faster runners/good defenders would be Flex. That way if needed I could have the Flex run for her. My one pitcher almost never played a position other than pitcher, but she was frequently listed as the starting 1B if she wasn't pitching.

Edit: #2 on the DP/Flex PDF is probably a better way to do what I do if you have the depth to have multiple DPs who can serve as PRs. For me it's a little different because I want the girls I use to run on defense, too.

I'd also mix up the DP/Flex from time to time just to spread playing time around, especially against weaker teams. I might list a better player as DP with the expectation that I'd have the Flex hit for her in the 3rd or 4th inning once we had a big lead.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That's an odd position to flex. Most of the time the corners are always considered a power position. I assume she was a whiz defensively?
I'm not saying this isn't the way people think, but I really hate it.

Put players where they belong on defense. It's fine if you have a 2B that can mash and a light-hitting 1B if those are their best defensive positions. Trying to shoehorn girls into a defensive spot based on their offensive profile doesn't make any sense to me.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My 1B's home to first time is measured with a calendar. So I would frequently list her as the DP and one of my faster runners/good defenders would be Flex. That way if needed I could have the Flex run for her.

This has some merit, but it's limiting. The second time you do this, 1B is now out of the game.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That is the downside, especially in high-scoring games (which most of ours are). It's not an automatic move, but one based more on game situation.

I know some people (not you) think that there is free substitution with the DP and Flex. This is not correct, and it's important to be aware of the limitations.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I know some people (not you) think that there is free substitution with the DP and Flex. This is not correct, and it's important to be aware of the limitations.

That's true. Very important to understand when someone has been removed from the game. And it can be confusing.

Also, from my experience, if you understand the rule and you know you're using it legally, it's much better to report what you need to report and not ask questions. I accidentally delayed a game for 5 minutes this year because I wanted to be 100% sure I was doing something right. I was, and I knew it, but I confused myself and then confused the umpires. If I had just reported what I was doing, nobody would've questioned it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414