Turn the barrel vs. throw the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Gwynn was more about Direction of the hands and hand-path, than he was about Loading the barrel. Every great hitter is about Direction of the hands, but some are also about creating Barrel Load for POP. In any case, it's important to understand what Gwynn is saying here.

Conversely, it's equally important to understand how wrong it is when some teach "Launch the barrel THEN find the ball".

368px-Tony_Gwynn_statue.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2013
"Hip rotation is critical, he says. Tee drills are good for creating muscle memory: Drive your hip toward the ball"

Interesting he says that. I assume he referring to the back hip?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
"Hip rotation is critical, he says. Tee drills are good for creating muscle memory: Drive your hip toward the ball"

Drive your hip to the ball.... WHEN? Just after pitcher release, halfway home, or at intended point of contact?

I'm sure Gwynn knows exactly what he wants to do and what he is saying makes perfect sense to him, but there always is the potential to lose a lot in translation with most any cue! Just sayin'

My thinking is that the hips coil and then are rotated to become perpendicular to the intended ball flight, leaving the upper body, shoulders, arms, and hands the appropriate space to launch the bat to square the ball up.

Oct 10, 2011

Hip rotation is critical, he says. Tee drills are good for creating muscle memory: Drive your hip toward the ball and your back knee toward your front ankle.

Sounds like the Jen Yee kick Drill or the Epstein Hamstring kick drills are trying to teach this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zCnJVYq1_4

Aug 2, 2013
Hip rotation is critical, he says. Tee drills are good for creating muscle memory: Drive your hip toward the ball and your back knee toward your front ankle.

Sounds like the Jen Yee kick Drill or the Epstein Hamstring kick drills are trying to teach this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zCnJVYq1_4

I have to agree to a degree.
Kicking will work if the pitch is not outside.
If the pitch is outside and your kicking, you better be one hell of an athlete.
Too much emphasis on back foot going heel up will not be effective. IMO.
There are some differences in the foot work in the inside/outside pitch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan