Composite Bat Sound/Feel Change?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2022
Hey DFP,

I recently got a good deal on a Louisville Slugger Nexus 28/16 for my daughter to use during one of those bat day sales.

I broke the bat in a bit and I thought it was sounding and feeling pretty good. A 'pop' when hitting the sweet spot and little vibration, almost feeling like hitting the ball effortlessly. Recently, I noticed that the sound has changed to more of a thud. I hit it off the tee a couple times and there's more feedback/vibration, like the bat has become stiffer.

I also noticed that the piece of rubber aka connection piece where the barrel and handle connect is loose. Turns out it's not actually responsible for connecting the barrel to the handle. I wonder if this is the cause of the feeling change? LS website describes it:

"The two-piece construction of Nexus is centered around the XCT Connection System, which pairs the composite barrel with the handle to minimize vibration and improve feel on contact."

I honestly thought that was just marketing nonsense but could this piece of rubber be a shock absorber that has stopped working by coming loose? Can I epoxy glue it back? Would that void my warranty? Should I warranty this bat even though I only got it last month?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018
  • Probably not.
  • No and yes that would void it.
  • Sometimes breaks happen quickly but we can’t tell you for sure just based on your description

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
The rubber piece has nothing to do with anything structurally. A lot of people think all these rubber pieces on these
bats are the connections...they are not. Most are to cover the connection and for cosmetic purposes. Vibration
issues would not be because the rubber is loose. And by reading about this bat, is has no inner tech. So only two things
could break...the composite in the barrel or the connection.
Composite bats DO change sound the more they are broken in as well

Is the bat handle loose from the barrel?

Jul 1, 2022
The rubber piece has nothing to do with anything structurally. A lot of people think all these rubber pieces on these
bats are the connections...they are not. Most are to cover the connection and for cosmetic purposes. Vibration
issues would not be because the rubber is loose. And by reading about this bat, is has no inner tech. So only two things
could break...the composite in the barrel or the connection.
Composite bats DO change sound the more they are broken in as well

Is the bat handle loose from the barrel?
Thanks for the insight. Bat is probably fine then.

Bat handle is not loose from the barrel. Looking under the rubber connection piece it just looks like the handle and barrel are glued together. Given this bat has no inner tech, any real damage to the bat should then be able to be seen from the outside?

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Thanks for the insight. Bat is probably fine then.

Bat handle is not loose from the barrel. Looking under the rubber connection piece it just looks like the handle and barrel are glued together. Given this bat has no inner tech, any real damage to the bat should then be able to be seen from the outside?

No, the connection is held together by the bat itself and whatever interlock system they use or the tightness the
handle fits into the barrel. Epoxy is just added to the actual area that the handle meets the barrel on the outside for
added help. Hence the rubber piece then covers this ugly area :) .
Every bat has epoxy under the connection.

If the bat doesnt seem loose from the barrel and there is no crack on the barrel..I dont see any issues, because we already
know there is no inner barrels or discs to break. Now, I dont know
what the connection thing they use is as I havent sold LS in years. Could there be an issue in there...maybe...but usually no.

Now, here is the other thing you can do. Since its only a month old, call LS and complain about the rubber piece and that it feels
weird now. See if they will give you a free return...I doubt it because Wilson isnt to "open" to replacing possible defects for free.
They like to charge you the warranty replacement for anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad