Turn the barrel vs. throw the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I just asked- of the 2 gifs. I didn't ask 'which one was better'.

OK that's honest.
TDS, also thanks for your thoughts.
I just wanted to hear thoughts on the videos. The good and the not so good. Discussion is good.
Both not good, but then you mention that one of the not good ones is a staple for you... Which is fine I suppose. Where do you find the value?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
As Howe knows, I believe in "pulling the bow back" which is a SE thing. However, as Howe also knows, my dd did it too much and to the point that she really pinched that scap as he said which, in turn, made her slower to the ball. (Also made her struggle on the inside pitch.) You can't tense those muscles that intensely and be quick to a live pitched ball. Instead, we worked on shortening the pull back and worked on Donny's stuff. We also worked on controlling the front shoulder rotation and work on controlling the middle better. So, take TM, his head flies back, his shoulders over rotate while the scap is pinched and he drops that back shoulder to enable him to swing. Look at the video just below him of ARod in those terms. Can you see what I am describing as "controlling the middle?" Do you see that sway back TM demonstrates? Do you see the back knee actually passing his nose? Do you see that over rotation of the shoulders? Do you see the early shoulder drop? Do you see ARod's nose go into the air? From TM's example, how do you expect to keep both eyes on the ball? Finally, look at the finish of TM's example. IMO, he is pushing to finish.

Of course you all can disagree with my observations. As I've often said, if it works for you, great. However, Howe and I have been through this stuff and we could name the casualties along the way. "Casualties" meaning those who were faithful followers who discovered the hard way the error of their ways. Very definitely, some of you think that my dd's swing demonstrates the error of our ways.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I believe there is a corner, I believe you load around that back socket.
After that, weight shift, front shoulder down just alittle, Eyes to pitcher not pulling your head off the ball path.

Compare swings, see if you find these in common with most high level MLB swings and TM.

I see TM only with the first 2

SL

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
As Howe knows, I believe in "pulling the bow back" which is a SE thing. However, as Howe also knows, my dd did it too much and to the point that she really pinched that scap as he said which, in turn, made her slower to the ball. (Also made her struggle on the inside pitch.) You can't tense those muscles that intensely and be quick to a live pitched ball. Instead, we worked on shortening the pull back and worked on Donny's stuff. We also worked on controlling the front shoulder rotation and work on controlling the middle better. So, take TM, his head flies back, his shoulders over rotate while the scap is pinched and he drops that back shoulder to enable him to swing. Look at the video just below him of ARod in those terms. Can you see what I am describing as "controlling the middle?" Do you see that sway back TM demonstrates? Do you see the back knee actually passing his nose? Do you see that over rotation of the shoulders? Do you see the early shoulder drop? Do you see ARod's nose go into the air? From TM's example, how do you expect to keep both eyes on the ball? Finally, look at the finish of TM's example. IMO, he is pushing to finish.

Of course you all can disagree with my observations. As I've often said, if it works for you, great. However, Howe and I have been through this stuff and we could name the casualties along the way. "Casualties" meaning those who were faithful followers who discovered the hard way the error of their ways. Very definitely, some of you think that my dd's swing demonstrates the error of our ways.

Cannonball,
Nice explaination and helping pointing out possible 'errors in my/our ways'. Now I will go back to the video and watch it a few more times. I have 'new' things to focus on. I know Howe has been 'pointing' me in this direction. Again just trying to 'see' it through my eyes. So I can help my DD.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The one legged swing is reality by feel. Yes, the lead leg does block and push back, there's no debate about it (Newton's Third Law). By the time it finally pushes back, however, the power production of the swing is over. I would argue that the lead leg push back has less impact on bat velocity at contact than the lead leg block.

The barrel accelerates as the front leg pushes back (resists).

21jvx1h.gif

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I want to say this. Some of you have luck with TM. Great. No one philosophy makes sense to everyone and no one philosophy is bad for everyone. If you can take anyone's stuff, have it make sense to you and then see progress in your child then great. However, you have to be able to distinguish between the truth and the BS. My dd's swing is not a result of any one philosophy. Rather it was developed from drills here and there and parts of many guru concepts. Her swing is not perfect. It produces and at a rather high level. Good luck to all on this journey. After all, most of us only want to help.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The barrel accelerates as the front leg pushes back (resists).

21jvx1h.gif

Here is what I say to my dd. The back hip helps straighten the front leg. I have her think soft front knee when doing drill work. With this cue, you have to be careful about your dd spinning. It really isn't a spin since there is some lateral movement. Oh, notice how the hitter in FFS's example tends to rise some. When I work with my dd, I have to be careful that she will sometimes get over her front knee. FFS and others have seen that in some of her video. So, her swing is not a finished produce and we work. Identify the flaws your dd tends to have because some of them will come back time and time again and then have a plan to fix it.

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Dump, Da-Dump-Dump, Duuuummmmmb!

BrndnDump.gif

BondsBrndnRt.gif

Pay attention to what everyone does....not what they say. Then compare what they do to what they say.

Here's the best part. The kicker if you will. His son has a pitch above the belt and Bonds has one at the thighs... LOL He'll tell you it's a perfect match though... But I think it's clear who "Dips THEN swings".

So Eric, who's trying to convince who of what again???

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan