Turn the barrel vs. throw the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 2, 2013
Who here understands and can explain conservation of angular momentum? grandpa is looking for something.

Is Miggy conserving more angular momentum here?
Cabrera_low_side.gif

Or here?
MCside.gif

Gotta love it.

What starts the swing, hands or body. If body reacts to the hands you cannot have angular momentum for timing. If hands react to the body angular momentum could apply .I'm a body reacts to the hands guy. Hands cause the sit, not sit and hands react.
That's my belief at the moment.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Here:
MCside.gif

Because Cabrera's hands are closer to his body? Correct?
This formula indicates one important physical consequence of angular momentum: because the above formula can be rearranged to give v = L/(mr) and L is a constant for an isolated system, the velocity v and the separation r are inversely correlated. Thus, conservation of angular momentum demands that a decrease in the separation r be accompanied by an increase in the velocity v, and vice versa. This important concept carries over to more complicated systems: generally, for rotating bodies, if their radii decrease they must spin faster in order to conserve angular momentum. This concept is familiar intuitively to the ice skater who spins faster when the arms are drawn in, and slower when the arms are extended; although most ice skaters don't think about it explictly, this method of spin control is nothing but an invocation of the law of angular momentum conservation.
slide02.gif
Perfect! So you bring the hands in and you can get them out front quicker. If you let them out, it slows down the quickness.

So FB's in? Soft stuff away? Even on soft stuff in you may want to slow down a little, otherwise you pull it foul.... DIRECTION! lol

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Since Howe won't answer the 2nd question could someone else answer?

BB/a$$ is a stretching pre-pitch action which happens between the belly button and the a$$.. One tries to twist (stretch) both ends towards the pitcher at the same time.. The release of this stretch sends the upper half back (towards catcher ) at the same time the lower forward... Do to the balanced actions the reactions become balanced so one can sit on any pitch... This frees the hands to do their thing when it counts.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2013
Perfect! So you bring the hands in and you can get them out front quicker. If you let them out, it slows down the quickness.

So FB's in? Soft stuff away? Even on soft stuff in you may want to slow down a little, otherwise you pull it foul.... DIRECTION! lol

I don't like that at all. If you get soft in, just swing around the ball? Body rotation cannot power the swing.

Anyone else have a thought on this. I don't agree with Howe, yet.

Sep 2, 2013
BB/a$$ is a stretching pre-pitch action which happens between the belly button and the a$$.. One tries to twist (stretch) both ends towards the pitcher at the same time.. The release of this stretch sends the upper half back (towards catcher ) at the same time the lower forward... Do to the balanced actions the reactions become balanced so one can sit on any pitch... This frees the hands to do their thing when it counts.

Thanks TDS

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
No I don't understand A$$/ BB

I'm not an expert and am in the process of learning about the core involvement....But, from what I've learned....This is BB/A$$ which is referred to as BASS. It's Belly-Button and A$$ to the pitcher. It's getting the core involved in the swing sequence...everything starts at the core. By trying to "face" or "twist" your core to point your belly button and A$$ to the pitcher at the same time, you create torque in your core, and your spine will have a natural tilt in it. You then release the core and everything will be a resultant of that release (Turning the barrel, etc.). I'm sure TDS and Howe can give more detail; but this is the headline on BB/A$$.

Aug 2, 2013
Circular hand path (CHP) isn't something a hitter should be focusing on at all. If your torso rotates when you swing, the hands are incapable of going in a straight line in a good swing.

With adherence to my new self imposed posting policy, (only positive comments), I have to say:
well said. A bench mark post IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan