Tryout notice translator

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
In all seriousness, can someone please translate "organizational workouts" to me? We drove an hour each way tonight for one and there were 50 girls (ranging from 10U to 18U) there. No one asked our name, no forms to complete, no one was writing anything down. If it's not a "tryout," what exactly is it? And when they're having numerous workouts/tryouts, how many times should one go? Are you at a disadvantage if you don't go to all of them? We're trying out for numerous teams and there are only so many days in the next few weeks. Is our time better spent hitting a bunch of different tryouts or "going deep" with a couple of teams and showing up numerous times. I'm hot, tired, and annoyed.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
^^That seems odd to me. Usually when there are organizational tryouts they at least segment by age group. Maybe if they weren't evaluating players they were trying to sell potential players rather than evaluate them?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
^^That seems odd to me. Usually when there are organizational tryouts they at least segment by age group. Maybe if they weren't evaluating players they were trying to sell potential players rather than evaluate them?

It was weird. They had everyone/all ages do some stuff together and then they did break them apart for part of the time. But no one was assigned a tryout number and they weren't writing anything down. Clearly, it was not a tryout. But, what is the purpose? We were there 2.5 hours, and to what end? DD got a great workout, no doubt, but if she walked away and no one even knows who she is, what was the point? I guess I misread the announcement and just assumed it was a tryout. I'll be paying closer attention next time.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We did them in Chicagoland during the winter. It is workout for the entire organization, not just one team. Space was limited, so we would rent an entire field house, set up a bunch of stations, and have the girls work through the stations. The self-motivated kids would get a lot done. Others would stand around and talk.

The theory behind it is that the kids will be more relaxed at this kind of event. The coaches have a better chance to see a child as she really is. And, if you spend 2.5 hours with a kid, you pretty much know what kind of player she is.

You get a chance to see how your child stacks up compared to the other kids. If you think your child can play for the organization, then go up to the coaches and talk to them. If you ask, they will spend some time assessing your child.

Don't be a shrinking violet at these events.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
We did them in Chicagoland during the winter. It is workout for the entire organization, not just one team. Space was limited, so we would rent an entire field house, set up a bunch of stations, and have the girls work through the stations. The self-motivated kids would get a lot done. Others would stand around and talk.

The theory behind it is that the kids will be more relaxed at this kind of event. The coaches have a better chance to see a child as she really is.

You get a chance to see how your child stacks up compared to the other kids. If you think your child can play for the organization, then go up to the coaches and talk to them. If you ask, they will spend some time assessing your child.

Don't be a shrinking violet at these events.

She'll be going back for the organizational tryout on a different date. She's picked up with one of the coaches before, so he does know her at least a little bit. I'm going to try to arrange for a private tryout as well with him. I hate these cattle call deals. I understand why they're needed, but it's hard for parents to walk that line between being assertive and appropriate and annoying/obnoxious. Every coach's threshold for that is probably different.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Man I wish I could post something here. I can't but will say this. Words do matter in the names of the various teams in an organization. You have to figure out the organization itself. For example, what are the top teams in each age group called? They have all kinds of special meanings. If you try out for an organization and they have a regular 12U, 14U and 16U and some other team with an additional element, make sure you know which is the better team. OK, so I'll clarify some. Gold for some isn't Gold level in many organizations.

Nov 18, 2013
It sounds like the “organizational workout” was designed to sell the program to families. Many organizations have several teams at each age group and have a team for almost every level of player. After tryouts you might get a message saying your DD made the Elite team, but as Cannonball mentioned, that could be the third team behind Premier and Select. That’s not bad if you know what you’re getting into. Unfortunately some families are led to believe they’re playing for the top team and it’s just the same name on a developmental team.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
It sounds like the “organizational workout” was designed to sell the program to families. Many organizations have several teams at each age group and have a team for almost every level of player. After tryouts you might get a message saying your DD made the Elite team, but as Cannonball mentioned, that could be the third team behind Premier and Select. That’s not bad if you know what you’re getting into. Unfortunately some families are led to believe they’re playing for the top team and it’s just the same name on a developmental team.

That is true of this organization. Several at each age group. I'm savvy enough to know which is which for this organization, I think. Both teams at DD's age group (14U) are promising a "true A" schedule, but I'm pretty sure I know which is the A+ and which is the A-.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01