Tips for hitting riseball pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2013
Stoddard, WI
My DD's team comes up against a riseball pitcher and they really struggle. Other than that the team hits .300 overall. Can you give me some tips to share with them? Thanks

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
One of the tips we offer is to emphasize your top hand in the swing. It helps keep your bat head on the necessary plane for solid contact. Another useful tidbit is to practice discipline versus the rise because many batters will chase that particular pitch when it's traveling out of the strikezone. If the pitcher throws almost exclusively the rise as her out pitch adjust your positioning in the box. See if she can adjust to you. This also works with offspeed pitches. Push her catcher back and see if it has an effect.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Tim was with us in Indy when we faced the Doom in a Tourney that had one of the best rise ball pitchers in the state from the Cincy area. They had beat us bad during the regular season. We worked on what Tim posted and set a T up on a bucket. We upset them 6-2 in a very good 16U tourney. Results work.

Apr 1, 2010
My thanks to you all!

DD hasn't yet seen many good rise balls and when she went to a college-sponsored game, she ran into a pitcher with some great stuff, including a wicked rise, who owned DD. The kid was pretty dissatified with an 0-fer day: she struck out swinging and had fly ball outs and ground outs/fielder's choices. We'll get going on high tee work.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Like people say - Got to keep the hands high. We look to throw them to players where their first movement with the hands is south.

Feb 7, 2013
Very timely post. We faced a pretty fast pitcher yesterday who threw a high fastball/riseball and our coaches told our players to move up in the box with the theory that our batters would hit the "rise" before it rose in the strike zone. Needless to say our batters struck out 12 times in 7 innings.

The problem I see with this strategy of moving up in the box is a) the ball reaches the batter faster and reaction time to hit the ball is decreased and b) it takes the batter out of her normal comfort zone stance which is more even with home plate.

If anything wouldn't you want to be even with home plate or slightly back towards to the catcher and layoff any high pitches. It wasn't like she was throwing her riseball every pitch, more like every 3rd pitch. So let the high pitch go by and wait for the other pitches in different locations.

It's frustrating to see you batters struggle and the coaches and players not making adjustments.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55