Timing is Timing ~ It takes training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
I will say practicing faster pitching at the cages helped my daughter this weekend. I think a team mistakenly found their way into our B tournament. My daughter has been practicing switching between 37, 50 and 60 at the cages (I don’t tell her which I’m choosing). This pitcher had to be very close to 60 (my daughter is low 50s and the pitching lesson before her is mid 60s - and it was definitely in the middle of those two).

My daughter hit one that was a double (got stuck in the fence) to end their 2 inning 3 up 3 down streak. We had been practicing to get ready for highschool next year- but it very clearly came in handy that she was used to the speed. It definitely takes reps on the timing to get used to it. There were kids swinging after the ball was in the catcher’s glove.

Aug 20, 2017
I will say practicing faster pitching at the cages helped my daughter this weekend. I think a team mistakenly found their way into our B tournament. My daughter has been practicing switching between 37, 50 and 60 at the cages (I don’t tell her which I’m choosing). This pitcher had to be very close to 60 (my daughter is low 50s and the pitching lesson before her is mid 60s - and it was definitely in the middle of those two).

My daughter hit one that was a double (got stuck in the fence) to end their 2 inning 3 up 3 down streak. We had been practicing to get ready for highschool next year- but it very clearly came in handy that she was used to the speed. It definitely takes reps on the timing to get used to it. There were kids swinging after the ball was in the catcher’s glove.
I can guarantee that the kids swinging when the ball was in the mitt did not have the front foot up before pitch release. Those are the ones that can benefit from using the machine with the emphasis on getting the foot up. I do it multiple ways. I’ll give the “Go” command (which means to foot up and stretch the upper) and once I see the foot up I put the ball in the machine. Or I’ll do like in the video I posted. Hold the ball up, take it down a notch (that’s the trigger for foot up) and then put it in machine. It’s got to be foot up and float forward. Many will get the foot up and shoulders get upside down and too much weight shifts back. They get stuck and are late. Pick the foot up against the head, float forward under control, prevent lunging by stretching the upper, prevent launching forwards by thinking launch backwards.

Aug 20, 2017
Teach the hitter to get the foot up on time first. Tell them to do what they feel is necessary to slow the ball down. If they still can’t get on time with the machine I will have them swing BEFORE I even put the ball in the machine. Swing and miss early! You’ll be amazed at how many kids actually hit the ball that they are trying to swing and miss early! Then it’s a light bulb moment. Gets better from there!

Aug 20, 2017
The goal of teaching this is to get to a floating forward, fully stretched position before pitch release ON EVERY PITCH. If they can do that, bombs are coming!! But the first step is to get comfortable with the foot up early. Progress from there once they are proficient with that. Give the “Go” command in front toss also!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi