Timing is Timing ~ It takes training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
On our machine, if you set the speed to simulate a 60 mph pitch, a ball coming out of the machine at 45 mph is not going to get close to the plate. It will bounce well short.
This brings up several interesting topics, going from 60 to 45 is not a normal difference in speed from a fastball to a change up. I think it's typically 8-10 mph. But now I'm wondering how the speed drop corresponds to the trajectory change. If you go from 60 to 55 with a machine will the ball not reach the plate? And, how much of a speed change do you need to fool the hitter? Is 5 mph enough to spoil the quality of contact? The general rule that I'm familiar with says a change up should have a 10 mph speed difference from the pitcher's fastball.

With single wheel machines 60 mph is going to produce a lot of backspin, I encourage the coaches that I work with to keep the velocity in the low 50's but move the machine closer.

Interesting story: several years ago I started working with a team that had a dual wheel Axiom machine in their facility, but they weren't using it. They told me that the machine was very erratic and at higher speeds batters were actually getting hit by wild pitches. I went early one day and set the machine up, sure enough it was erratic. They were using the Axiom balls, with a design on the surface, not the usual Jugs dimpled balls. While picking up the balls I bounced a few on the ground, like dribbling a basketball, and noticed there was difference in how the balls bounced. I began squeezing the balls and found that there were two distinct types, one much softer than the other, even though they looked identical. I separated the balls out, put them though the machine and sure enough one type was much more consistent than the other. I talked to the team manager and he told me that they had bought two batches of balls, about a month apart. I called Axiom customer service and explained the situation, they said it was news to them.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The link to the JUGS Machine change-up machine states that their machine will take a 60 mph fastball and then change it to 45 mph change. I used their numbers.

May 13, 2023
I'm trying to figure the point of the post.
To get back to your conundrum.
The point is the title.

Paige Halstead was an okay hitter, at best. Is the implication here that she could hit off a MLB pitcher with regularity? If so, that's just foolish.
No that wasn't the implication.
It was just a video of some swings that started producing better contact.

I can crush a 70 MPH pitch off a Jugs machine all day long, but put me in the box against Valerie Cagle, and I'd look like a fool.
Not really believing you could hit a 70 mph jugs machine set at Fastpitch distances all day long. But if you could you would be that much closer to being able to hit Valerie Cagle in a game.
* that is to say if you have that training and the ability to hit 70 mph you would definitely be in the category to be able to face Cagle.

Simply,
That's why people train with machines because they can mimic speeds in games.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Not really believing you could hit a 70 mph jugs machine set at Fastpitch distances all day long. But if you could you would be that much closer to being able to hit Valerie Cagle in a game.
So, you're saying I'm a liar. Nice... I always thought you were a know-it-all. This confirms it. Don't bother responding. I'm done.

May 13, 2023
So, you're saying I'm a liar. Nice... I always thought you were a know-it-all. This confirms it.
Don't bother responding. I'm done.
I didn't call you anything. Certainly would not tell people you are a liar. Formed a perspective from the way you were making comments in your post I didn't take it seriously. Seemed like you were using words as a figure of speech not that you are actually hanging out hitting off a machine all day.

Edited so you can see my specific reasoning to my response.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Why the doubt? You’ve stated on here that you crushed balls off of minor league baseball pitchers, so why is this not to be believed? Once you get the timing down on a pitch coming in straight off a machine, it’s really not that difficult. Hitting off of Cagle in a game? It‘s like comparing apples to oranges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi