Timing is Timing ~ It takes training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I'm trying to figure the point of the post. Paige Halstead was an okay hitter, at best. Is the implication here that she could hit off a MLB pitcher with regularity? If so, that's just foolish. I can crush a 70 MPH pitch off a Jugs machine all day long, but put me in the box against Valerie Cagle, and I'd look like a fool.

While I love the content Eric and Trevor put out, it's done to garner views. Showing Bauer strike her out repeatedly wouldn't increase their views.

Realistic question here. What do you think a .400 P5 hitter would hit at the Major league level? I'd bet it was under .100.

May 27, 2013
I'm trying to figure the point of the post. Paige Halstead was an okay hitter, at best. Is the implication here that she could hit off a MLB pitcher with regularity? If so, that's just foolish. I can crush a 70 MPH pitch off a Jugs machine all day long, but put me in the box against Valerie Cagle, and I'd look like a fool.

While I love the content Eric and Trevor put out, it's done to garner views. Showing Bauer strike her out repeatedly wouldn't increase their views.

Realistic question here. What do you think a .400 P5 hitter would hit at the Major league level? I'd bet it was under .100.
I don’t believe that was the pitch speed. I think it might be ball exit speed or bat velocity.

May 13, 2023
I can crush a 70 MPH pitch off a Jugs machine all day long, but put me in the box against Valerie Cagle, and I'd look like a fool.
Being that tons and tons of hitting training is done with pitching machines...
Prompts me to ask,
Why would you @LE be able to hit 70 mph
off a pitching machine
but not hit off a live pitcher?

Timing is Timing.

Definitely there are different cues to look for when timing a pitching machine rather than a live pitcher.
*But those are just learning different timing visuals.

Luv live pitching hitting practice,
Yet still see the benefit of being able to use a machine.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Being that tons and tons of hitting training is done with pitching machines...
Prompts me to ask,
Why would you @LE be able to hit 70 mph
off a pitching machine
but not hit off a live pitcher?

Timing is Timing.

Definitely there are different cues to look for when timing a pitching machine rather than a live pitcher. But those are just learning different timing visuals.

Luv live pitching hitting practice,
Yet still see the benefit of being able to use a machine.
Machine consistently pitches to the same spot. Give me 5 pitches and I will catch up pretty quick. Live pitching is different. The machine is not trying to strike you out. When the girls pitch against the boys, they always throw rise balls out of the zone. Who can lay off a riseball?

May 13, 2023
Machine consistently pitches to the same spot. Give me 5 pitches and I will catch up pretty quick. Live pitching is different. The machine is not trying to strike you out.
Consistency helps create consistency will agree with that. Sooo practicing with 70 mph consistent speeds would create consistent timing at that speed.

Inconsistent pitching helps develop making adjustments.

As far as consistency of pitching machines
....Mehhh many pitching machines do not throw to the same location over and over. Perhaps for developed hitters the fun part is when they dont 🙂

Point being, Timing takes training.
Whether it's wiffle balls, tennis balls, mushy rubberized balls, baseballs, softballs, whatever you got it takes timing.

( Timing is more than just working on a swing! Much more then hitting a ball off a tee.)

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Machine consistently pitches to the same spot. Give me 5 pitches and I will catch up pretty quick. Live pitching is different. The machine is not trying to strike you out. When the girls pitch against the boys, they always throw rise balls out of the zone. Who can lay off a riseball?
What he said. ^^^

There is no deception with a Jugs machine. There is with a live pitcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi