Timing is Timing ~ It takes training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
I think that’s the point some of us are trying to make, though.

Sure people are talking about different methods of sending pitches to batters that have different visual cues. But whether it comes out of a hand or a machine there is still timing.
( interesting too that some batters do better off machines than they do live pitching and vice versa)

Don't think anybody can discredit the use of pitching machines because they are abundantly used everywhere.
Get use to the speed off the machine mimicking the speed will see in the game.

The hitter can time the machine in the way you are stating because there is no variance.
➡️ To develop timing there doesn't have to be variance.
➡️ To develop better timing there needs to be more variance.

Oh yeah 😏 the reason for the Post
Timing is Timing it takes training!

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
My belief is machines are good at building confidence in batters who are intimidated by higher velocity. Since the machine is consistent they will learn the timing and eventually catch up to it. Give them a live pitcher throwing that same velocity with movement and then mixing in a changeup? Nope. Sorry. Those same batters will become intimidated again.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yep - said that. Just only works if you have a way to do it without pausing and fumbling with the machine.
The do sell a Jugs machine that has a change up option for that. You get a remote with it that slows the wheel down fast. I've never used it, but I hear it is effective. It also adds a few hundred bucks to the cost.

May 27, 2013
The do sell a Jugs machine that has a change up option for that. You get a remote with it that slows the wheel down fast. I've never used it, but I hear it is effective. It also adds a few hundred bucks to the cost.
You don’t have to change the angle of the machine? Or is that automatic? When we used the Jugs whenever we slowed it down or sped it up we’d have to also change the angle the machine was at to get the ball in the zone.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
You don’t have to change the angle of the machine? Or is that automatic? When we used the Jugs whenever we slowed it down or sped it up we’d have to also change the angle the machine was at to get the ball in the zone.
Not at all. It's a brake of some sort. It also retails for almost $2,400.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We don't have that type of JUGS Machine but I wonder if that wheel slows down, how does the ball reach the plate? Can that machine change the trajectory?

I didn't read the posts above but wonder the same thing.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The most effective change up is going to start out with a fastball trajectory, then drop low or out of the strike zone. It kind of defeats the purpose if you slow the machine down and raise the trajectory. Sometimes a pitcher can get away with a change up that starts out high, looks like it's going to be a fastball out of the zone, then drops in for a strike, but it's not a pitch you want to throw too often, most of the time it's a mistake.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The most effective change up is going to start out with a fastball trajectory, then drop low or out of the strike zone. It kind of defeats the purpose if you slow the machine down and raise the trajectory. Sometimes a pitcher can get away with a change up that starts out high, looks like it's going to be a fastball out of the zone, then drops in for a strike, but it's not a pitch you want to throw too often, most of the time it's a mistake.
On our machine, if you set the speed to simulate a 60 mph pitch, a ball coming out of the machine at 45 mph is not going to get close to the plate. It will bounce well short.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi